Dog food vs human food

45 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
oportosanto
(@oportosanto)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Considering that there are so many food issues, I am guessing that yes, there in adequate nutrition for dogs and this is not the same as we eat. At the same time I feel that if we have basic information and we use common sense we will be able to feed our dog properly.

Posted : 16/05/2016 12:27 am
(@shortie861)

I remember my Grandma used to feed my dog cereal with milk in a morning and he was fine with it but not all dogs are alike and they could have an adverse reaction to eating the same thing. I would say it varies between each dog and to try them with human food in small quantities say as a treat once in a while. The one thing I know dogs should never eat is chocolate for humans as they say it can be poisonous to dogs.

Posted : 16/05/2016 2:54 am
caribbeangirl
(@caribbeangirl)
Eminent Member

We have always fed our dogs with whatever we had left over from our own food. I don't know if this is good enough for them or if dog food is better for them. However, we have never gone out of our way to buy any kind of dog food. I have a feeling that dog food is kind of pricey too, but I have never checked the price. I have always felt that whatever is good for us humans to eat would also be good for dogs, but maybe this is not the case, judging from some of the posts that I have just read here.

Posted : 16/05/2016 4:32 am
Beermoney
(@beermoney)
Eminent Member

I believe it is definitely fine for dogs to eat human food. Dog food are made specially for dogs but that does not mean they can not eat our food. In fact, its only natural for dogs to eat food like real meat and such. This is what wild dogs do and they have been doing it since time immemorial. That is before they became pets and started having dog food. It is best to avoid giving them artificial food to prevent any problems. Other than that, I do not think there is a problem with them eating what we are eating

<a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="">

Posted : 16/05/2016 6:09 am
pwarbi
(@pwarbi)
Eminent Member

While like I said before, I don't think there's anything wrong with giving dogs human food as a treat every now and again, but on a regular basis I'd also be worried that it would get addicted and stop eating it's own food.

In the past I think people used to feed their dogs anything and everything, but now people are more clued up regarding the nutritional aspect of food and dogs.

Posted : 16/05/2016 7:23 am
forest_kitten
(@forest_kitten)

I've always shied away from feeding my puppies human food. One of my dogs has some stomach issues which are typically exacerbated when she manages to steal something off the table when I'm not watching, so the only human food I'm willing to share with her are small pieces of bread or unseasoned meat.

I'm sure dogs with stronger constitution don't have any issues with eating human food, but, as with most things, you really have to consider this issue on a case by case basis.

Posted : 16/05/2016 9:31 am
oportosanto
(@oportosanto)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Time have changed a lot. I recall being a kid and all the dogs were fed leftovers or food prepared for them, but not so different from ours. These days they do eat specialized food. What is better is surely the last, but our own food is not so bad to them either.

Posted : 17/05/2016 1:06 am
TungstenCube
(@tungstencube)

As my dad always said, everything in moderation, even moderation itself. My dog once leaped up onto the center island and ate half a pizza before we caught him. And guess what! Nothing happened other than a little gas. Now, I think that nightly pizza would obviously be terrible, but I guess what I'm trying to get at is how this one circumstance didn't ruin everything from a diet perspective.

Posted : 17/05/2016 12:37 pm
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

Because dogs are meant to be carnivores while humans are omnivores I don't agree that they can or should eat exactly what we eat. In my family, we would never deliberately cook extra portions for our pets. The closest I think we have done is give scraps of meat fat because no one in the family will eat it. And that is rare because we typically get the fat removed before we but it. We only feed our pets meat but never potatoes and vegetables. They wouldn't eat it anyways, so we would just have to clean if off the floor. So as a general rule we don't feed our pets with our food because they'll start begging and probably shouldn't eat our food anyways.

Posted : 17/05/2016 12:39 pm
oportosanto
(@oportosanto)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Begging is a side effect of giving them our own food that is a fact. They need to realize they have their own space and time to eat and that is not the same as ours. That rule has to be clear to avoid making a mess, especially when we have kids who love to feed them... 🙂

Posted : 18/05/2016 1:03 am
(@autumn_hearthwitch)
Eminent Member

I don't give human food to a dog or any pet for that matter. Some things that we eat just can't be digested quite well enough for our little furry friends. With that said, I did have a cat who ate human food. She never had any problems but she was a fussy one. She would eat ice cream but had to be vanilla, chips, but they had to be plain and a certain brand. My parents had a dog and the first time they gave him a "little treat" from the table he was sick all over the kitchen. They never did that again. I'd say keep some of his/her favorite treats on hand but don't overdo it on those either.

Posted : 18/05/2016 5:08 am
MUTTLIFE
(@muttlife)
Eminent Member

Most Dog breeds can eat almost anything, even bones, you don't need to spend more money into special dog kibble. We only are careful with giving out hard bones to our pinscher breeds, but for the bigger dogs such as our Boxer, regular dog kibble mixed with anything for leftovers generally suffices.

Posted : 30/05/2016 10:05 am
RavenStar
(@ravenstar)

Well, I never saw anything wrong in dogs eating human food (unless they have some stomach or health problems obviously). My dog always had his own dog food. However he got treats and leftovers of our food on daily basis. And never had any problems. There were some things he didn't eat at all, others he loved. So, I would say it's up for the dog and you just need to observe and see its reactions.

Posted : 30/05/2016 1:32 pm
Corzhens
(@corzhens)
Estimable Member

Bе Cаrеful Whаt Yоu Fееd Yоur Dоg
Nоt аll dоgs аrе аlikе.

Just bеcаusе sоmеоnе еlsе’s dоg didn’t hаvе аn аdvеrsе rеаctiоn tо а pаrticulаr humаn fооd dоеsn’t mеаn thаt yоur pеt will bеhаvе thе sаmе wаy. Yоur dоg cоuld rеаct diffеrеntly tо thе tаstе оf thе fооd, оr hе cоuld еvеn hаvе аn аllеrgy tо оnе оr mоrе оf its ingrеdiеnts.

Yes, we have that experience with our pug. We have been feeding our dog with human food but not the leftover. We buy quality meat and fish for them to be boiled or roasted or fried. That is their food regimen. But 2 years ago, Pipoy had a swollen face presumably due to allergy. The vet suspected that it is chicken. So we banned chicken for Pipoy's diet.

However, after some months, we tried again and it looks again. That was last year and last month, Pipoy developed rashes, so many red marks on his tummy. After the examination, the vet suspected chicken again. For the second time, chicken is banned for Pipoy's menu. But our 2 other dogs are okay with chicken.

Posted : 30/05/2016 2:23 pm
dame6089
(@dame6089)

You could potentially only feed dogs "human food" (fruits, veggies, protein). The issue is mainly money and time though. It is much cheaper to just buy a bag of dog food that has a lot of the nutrients in those foods. Some people have to do this though because their dogs have sensitive stomachs. I don't envy them. It has to be a lot of work to prepare every meal for your dog.

Posted : 30/05/2016 5:45 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: