Dog food vs human food

44 Posts
37 Users
0 Likes
oportosanto
(@oportosanto)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I am curious about what you have to say about this as I've heard a number of opinions. Do you believe dogs can eat what we eat (like making extra portions sometimes) complemented with dog food, just dog food or simply our leftovers? Does this depend on the breed or is there a general rule?

Posted : 21/03/2016 6:04 am
Benoit W
(@benoit-w)
Trusted Member

Bе Cаrеful Whаt Yоu Fееd Yоur Dоg
Nоt аll dоgs аrе аlikе.

Just bеcаusе sоmеоnе еlsе’s dоg didn’t hаvе аn аdvеrsе rеаctiоn tо а pаrticulаr humаn fооd dоеsn’t mеаn thаt yоur pеt will bеhаvе thе sаmе wаy. Yоur dоg cоuld rеаct diffеrеntly tо thе tаstе оf thе fооd, оr hе cоuld еvеn hаvе аn аllеrgy tо оnе оr mоrе оf its ingrеdiеnts.

Posted : 21/03/2016 8:14 am
heavymetalkilos
(@heavymetalkilos)
Eminent Member

I've heard that dogs need a different kind of nutrition than human does, just because our "bodies" are different. Their intestines are different than ours, making it hard to digest some foods. Your dogs can be allergic to some foods too, you may never know. Just be careful and don't feed your dog things that you don't certainly not know are they good or not.

Posted : 21/03/2016 1:47 pm
(@laurenr7)

My mom is a Veterinarian and she is very strict about what our dogs eat. Their digestive systems are not meant for most foods that humans can consume. However, they can eat small amounts of unseasoned, cooked meat. We will sometimes give our dogs small pieces of ham or turkey.

Dogs can almost always eat potatoes or bananas, and we often feed our a teaspoon of peanut butter as a treat. They should NEVER eat grapes, or chocolate. Always make sure that your dog does not have food allergies before feeding them these things.

Posted : 21/03/2016 4:30 pm
Frisbee
(@frisbee)
Trusted Member

I don't think we've ever made extra portions of our own from them, although if we're buying meat from a good supplier, we'll get a little extra for them as a treat. It isn't part of their main diet though. For their standard diet we feed them dog food, because it is better for their nutrition than human food. We change the brand every now and then to give them some variety, or if the vet thinks they need a change for better nutrition.

Mind you, they certainly think they can eat what we eat and try whenever they think they can get the chance! Cooking asparagus in our kitchen involves a closed door with something leant against it. Otherwise there are two pairs of pleading eyes following the cook's every move and, if you turn your back, something green vanishes.

Posted : 22/03/2016 12:06 am
Mars
 Mars
(@mars)
Eminent Member

Our dogs eat whatever we eat at home. Sometimes, we mix dog food and regular human food. But of course we are careful not to feed them with anything that would be detrimental to their health and well being like chocolates. We also don't feed them chicken as the bones of chicken when broken are really sharp and might hurt their mouths, and even their intestines.

Posted : 22/03/2016 12:27 am
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

I feed my dog Purina Pro Plan dried dog food. I don't want to mess up his stomach since he already has sensitive stomach. Every now and then, I made him chicken soup when he doesn't feel good. I also gave me pieces of carrots and apples as a treat. In the summer, I gave him blueberry and watermelon. Believe me, I have already looked up on all of these before I gave them to Capone. They are safe!!

Posted : 22/03/2016 2:19 am
aquaticneko
(@aquaticneko)
Eminent Member

The dogs we had were mongrels, they are mixed. A strong breed for survival and can eat any kind of food to survive. Naturally we don't give them anything like chocolates. WE don't even eat that either. So it isn't even IN the house. However, we give them some of what we eat. I tend to treat them every now and then with store bought treat but mostly we make them "cookie" treats from meat and cornmeal. Other dogs, full breeds, especially toy dogs, are bred so much they have so many health problems. Like pugs for instance. They have trouble eating even normal human food. So therefore special doggy food is required. I always read the ingredients in my store bought food. In my opinion, it is much better to feed our dogs things closest to nature as it is what they would do in the wild. Same with us, we try to eat things not too overly processed. A thing that is getting more and more difficult to do.

Posted : 22/03/2016 3:19 am
oportosanto
(@oportosanto)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

My mom is a Veterinarian and she is very strict about what our dogs eat. Their digestive systems are not meant for most foods that humans can consume. However, they can eat small amounts of unseasoned, cooked meat. We will sometimes give our dogs small pieces of ham or turkey.

Dogs can almost always eat potatoes or bananas, and we often feed our a teaspoon of peanut butter as a treat. They should NEVER eat grapes, or chocolate. Always make sure that your dog does not have food allergies before feeding them these things.

That put a smile on my face, when you mentioned that we can feed them unseasoned meat. It reminded me when I was a kid and my parents were not aware of it and gave our dog some steak that was a little spicy. Poor dog, he was in pain and I never saw him drink so much water!! 😀

Posted : 22/03/2016 3:34 am
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

You can feed dogs meat that hasn't been sauced. But you have to be careful about feeding a dog or a puppy because they are true carnivores while humans are omnivorous and we have different adaptations for our diets. Milk with milk sugar, cheese, and dairy products that dogs don't have enzymes to break down will cause vvomiting, diarrhea, and the gastrointestinal problems. Onions damage red blood cells if enough are consumed. Macadamia Nuts will develop a weakness in their hind legs that can lead to the inability to walk. Garlic does the same thing as onions but in smaller quicker doses. Avocados have a toxin called person that causes breathing difficulties and fluid buildup in the chest. The pit can also accidentally be swallowed, suffocating the dog. The cores of your favorite fruit like apple, plums, peaches, pears, and apricots contain cyanide. Yeast dough will ferment in the dog's stomach and become toxic from the alcohol being produced. You'll kill your dog with alcohol poisoning. Anything with caffeine like coffee will upset the nervous system.

Posted : 22/03/2016 10:42 pm
oportosanto
(@oportosanto)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Yeah, so there is a lot to learn about feeding a dog, but for example, my in-laws have a dog and they don't buy it proper food, he just eats left overs and he has always been healthy. So what's the catch here, seems to be working for them right?

Posted : 23/03/2016 5:18 am
pwarbi
(@pwarbi)
Eminent Member

I've always fed my dogs with food made specifically for...well, dogs! In dog food there's a lot of nutrients in there that your dog's need that they wouldn't be able to get from our foods, so that's the main reason I think its important.

I give the dogs a few treats every now and again, leftovers from my meals, but in the main they stick to their own food and I've never had any issues in the past from feeding them that way.

Posted : 23/03/2016 6:35 am
PenguinManiac
(@penguinmaniac)
Eminent Member

When I was young, my mom never bought any dog food, she just fed our dog with whatever we were eating, but she seemed to prefer meat in general (especially steaks and ham). We also made sure she stayed away from harmful food like chocolate and milk, of course, and she never caught any illnesses (not food-related, at least).

Posted : 23/03/2016 10:09 am
joshposh
(@joshposh)
Trusted Member

They are not suppose to eat food that contain sugar and salt. Reason why they get addicted to human food so quick. All kinds of things can happen. My dog is hairy. Long hair that will probably fall out if you I did feed them too much salt.

Posted : 23/03/2016 2:11 pm
Pogykt
(@pogykt)

My chi gets to eat little bites of banana every week for treats (he goes wild for them, no idea why.) Other than that, he very rarely ever gets human food and when he does, its teensy tiny bits.

Human food rarely is ever good for dogs. It's important to do your research so they can have healthy snacks and live a long life, instead of giving into temptation and giving them all kinds of human food

Posted : 23/03/2016 5:49 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: