Clear all

Dog food vs human food

44 Posts
37 Users
0 Likes
Belovedad
(@belovedad)
Eminent Member

I believe they can eat what we eat yes, but I don't practice it often. If I have leftovers then yeah sure, why not? But dogs also need specific nutrients for to the remain healthy and in best conditions and dog food is specialized for that. So, while I may give them 'human' food from time to time, I make sure to feed them properly.

Posted : 31/05/2016 3:25 am
(@naturalbeauty92)

My family never feed our dogs human food. We had a wonderful vet back home in Macon, who said to only give them a certain brand of dog food because not all dog food is good for them. I have seen dogs get very sick from human food. My husband grandmother dog died not to long ago from eating human food all day every day.

Posted : 31/05/2016 6:45 am
Foub
 Foub
(@foub)

Health reasons aside I don't give my dog human food because they will start to cry for it after and I hate it when dogs beg for food. My aunt gives her dog human food and it drives me crazy when we are eating and the dog is sitting their whining for food.

Posted : 31/05/2016 7:53 am
LaneA
(@lanea)
Eminent Member

Well, on my house all the dogs eat dog food but I have to admit that sometimes my dad (and actually all my family) gives them human food, leftovers mostly. It's been about seven years since we started to doing it and we haven't had any problems with it. But also, when I'm not really sure if that food can be bad for them I just google it to make sure of that.
But, when it comes to me, I don't really have a problem with giving them human food.

Posted : 31/05/2016 8:43 am
fuzyon
(@fuzyon)
Eminent Member

I do give my dogs human food from time to time, mostly steak, porkchops or chicken as a little treat. I wouldn't be against feeding my dogs only human food, that's what my parents do and their dogs don't have any problems.
That being said, it's less time-consuming to buy a sack full of dog food instead of preparing extra meals whenever you make food.

Posted : 31/05/2016 10:30 am
Lisa Davis
(@lisa-davis)
Eminent Member

Dog food was meant for dogs, but we spoil our Beagle Petey and sometimes he gets special human food treats. However, there is a whole list of things that you should never feed a dog. Some of these things were mentioned by other posters, but from the expert vet advice that I have been given:

• Alcohol. ...
  • Avocado. ...
  • Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine. ...
  • Citrus. ...
  • Coconut and Coconut Oil. ...
  • Grapes and Raisins. ...
  • Macadamia Nuts. ...
  • Milk and Dairy.
  • Nuts
  • Garlic, Onion, Chives
  • Raw undercooked meat, bones, eggs
  • Salt and Salty snack food
  • Xylitol (sweetener)
  • Yeast Dough

Posted : 31/05/2016 2:49 pm
Novelangel
(@novelangel)

My mother in-law used to own a little dog that she would feed pretty much anything from her dining room table. I was visiting her one day and noticed a big glob of ice cream on her kitchen floor. I saw that mom was eating ice cream, so I figured she accidentally dropped some from her spoon. (She's disabled and can't clean up messes) So, I cleaned it up and turned around just in time to see her purposely dump a spoonful of ice cream on the floor again. She was doing it to feed the dog, who was at that moment, more interested elsewhere and was unaware of the treat. I was concerned that the dog would grow fat and unhealthy on such treats, but since the dog was hers I had little that I could say at the time. She also fed her dog omelets with jelly on them... yeah, as in peanut butter and jelly. That poor dog had the weirdest diet until my husband's brother took her in and started feeding her properly. She lost weight and had much more energy after that. I personally never fed a dog from the table, but our dog would gladly eat a few table scraps from time to time. We never fed him sweets however, or jelly, though a glob of peanut butter from time to time was a welcome treat for him.

Posted : 01/06/2016 3:17 am
(@apollo0915)

We can give our dog portion of what we eat but just in moderation and also not left over. Some of the food of humans are harmful to the health of the dog like the chocolate which in human if consume is just ok but for dogs its poisonous, and seed of fruits that can stuck in stomach and give complication to our beloved dog. I always prepare to give the dog with dog food because its not just safe but it also give our dog right nutrition making it healthy.

Posted : 07/02/2018 6:48 pm
junrose123
(@junrose123)
Eminent Member

I think as much as possible if we have the money we should provide our dogs with their own dog food since dogs are different form humans. There maybe some instance that a certain food that we eat is not applicable for dogs that might resulted from any diseases or adverse effect from them. It is also to give them proper care and assurance of safety and good health.

Posted : 07/02/2018 7:42 pm
eila
 eila
(@eila)

I think it's okay to feed dogs human foods. Before, most people, including us, do not buy dog foods for their pets. They just feed their dogs with whatever they're having and it worked well. Maybe just be careful not to give it with food having too much flavorings and be aware of those harmful to them such as chocolates.

Posted : 07/02/2018 8:11 pm
valvulaeconniventes
(@valvulaeconniventes)
Trusted Member

I think human food is okay for dogs but not all of it. Always be mindful of the common human foods that are dangerous for them. If you have the budget anyway, spend on the dogfood. It will save you the worrying and the potential visit to the fet if you've fed the dog something which may upset their stomach

Posted : 07/02/2018 8:34 pm
james0820
(@james0820)

There was nothing wrong if you want your dog to eat dog food and human food. But it depends on what human food you will use. Our dog wants to eat corn beef because sometimes he did not want to eat his food. You should stop to put salt and sugar in human food if you want your dog to be not addicted. Always put your dog into safety to avoid health issues.

Posted : 09/02/2018 6:23 pm
(@bumble)
Trusted Member

There are so of my human food which my dog eats freely. It's my cat that doesn't eat much of human food but she will mostly love to smell them just to make sure it's something she doesn't want to eat. 

Posted : 14/01/2024 3:07 pm
Henrywrites
(@henrywrites)
Eminent Member

I believe that we shouldn't joke with giving dogs the food that is meant for them. There is no point with making dogs eat food meant for humans as they may end up not getting the right nutrients needed at that rate.

Posted : 22/04/2024 12:23 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: