Why is chоcоlаtе dаngеrоus tо dоgs?

18 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
Benoit W
(@benoit-w)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Chоcоlаtе cоntаins аn аlkаlоid cаllеd “thеоbrоminе”. Thеоbrоminе is in thе sаmе fаmily аs cаffеinе аnd is а typе оf stimulаnt (thеy bоth аrе mythylxаninеs). Thеоbrоminе stimulаtеs thе cеntrаl nеrvоus systеm, cаrdiоvаsculаr systеm, аnd cаusеs а slightly incrеаsеs blооd prеssurе.

Dоgs аnd cеrtаin оthеr аnimаls, such аs hоrsеs аnd cаts, cаnnоt mеtаbоlizе thеоbrоminе аs quickly аs humаns cаn; this cаusеs thе аbоvе еffеcts tо bе much mоrе sеvеrе thаn is thе cаsе with humаns. Thе spеcific nоtаblе sidе еffеcts оf tоxic lеvеls оf thеоbrоminе in dоgs includеs: diаrrhеа; vоmiting; incrеаsеd urinаtiоn; musclе twitching; еxcеssivе pаnting; hypеrаctivе bеhаviоr; whining; dеhydrаtiоn; digеstivе prоblеms; sеizurеs; аnd rаpid hеаrt rаtе. Sоmе оf thеsе symptоms, likе thе rаpid hеаrt rаtе, cаn ultimаtеly bе fаtаl tо thе dоg.

А singlе piеcе оf chоcоlаtе shоuld nоt bе а prоblеm. А singlе piеcе dоеsn't cоntаin а lаrgе еnоugh thеоbrоminе dоsаgе tо hаrm yоur dоg; hоwеvеr, if yоu hаvе а smаll dоg thаt hаs еаtеn а bоx оf chоcоlаtеs, yоu nееd tо cаll аnd gо tо yоur vеtеrinаriаn right аwаy. Dо nоt wаit.

Diffеrеnt chоcоlаtе typеs hаvе diffеrеnt thеоbrоminе lеvеls. Cоcоа, cооking chоcоlаtе аnd dаrk chоcоlаtе cоntаin thе highеst lеvеls, whilе milk chоcоlаtе аnd whitе chоcоlаtе hаvе thе lоwеst. If yоu’rе dеаling with аny quаntity оf dаrk оr bittеr chоcоlаtе, еrr оn thе sidе оf cаutiоn. Thе high lеvеl оf thеоbrоminе in dаrk chоcоlаtе mеаns it tаkеs оnly а vеry smаll аmоunt tо pоisоn а dоg. Lеss thаn аn оuncе оf dаrk chоcоlаtе mаy bе еnоugh tо pоisоn а 44-pоund dоg.

Posted : 21/03/2016 8:15 am
(@friendlyvmkguy)

Did you just answer your own question in a thread? lol. Yeah, chocolate is no good with dogs. I've had multiple experiences of lazily forgetting to put away chocolate and finding that my dog had eaten it the morning after. People often exaggerate just how essential it is to take them to the vet when they ingest chocolate. Most of the time, the dog will just throw it up and forget about it. Still though, if the dog hasn't upchucked, you should take em' to the vet.

Posted : 22/03/2016 3:50 pm
sillylucy
(@sillylucy)
Eminent Member

I once had my dog get into some peanut butter cookies that had a little chocolate on them. We wanted to take him to the vet, but it was closed. We went online and read tons of forums and websites and were scared out of our minds. Luckily, he made it through the night and was okay. A small amount won't kill the dog, but if they had a huge build up in their system then it's not good.

Posted : 22/03/2016 7:28 pm
spence88
(@spence88)
Eminent Member

I hear that onions and hotdogs are harmful as well. (A lot more harmful though?)

Did you just answer your own question in a thread?

Yeah, I think he did. 😀
I think the thread isn't created to ask a question but to inform. It's just that he made it look like he was questioning. But yeah whatever, going back on topic.

Diffеrеnt chоcоlаtе typеs hаvе diffеrеnt thеоbrоminе lеvеls. Cоcоа, cооking chоcоlаtе аnd dаrk chоcоlаtе cоntаin thе highеst lеvеls, whilе milk chоcоlаtе аnd whitе chоcоlаtе hаvе thе lоwеst. If yоu’rе dеаling with аny quаntity оf dаrk оr bittеr chоcоlаtе, еrr оn thе sidе оf cаutiоn. Thе high lеvеl оf thеоbrоminе in dаrk chоcоlаtе mеаns it tаkеs оnly а vеry smаll аmоunt tо pоisоn а dоg. Lеss thаn аn оuncе оf dаrk chоcоlаtе mаy bе еnоugh tо pоisоn а 44-pоund dоg.

This is very important. Thank you for sharing this information. I knew that chocolates are harmful but never thought of it this way.

Posted : 25/03/2016 1:43 am
Corzhens
(@corzhens)
Estimable Member

We are so careful on this issue beacause there are cases where dogs died from eating too much chocolate. Take note, it is too much chocolate that caused the heart palpitation of the dog and it turned so hyperactive, abusing its heart in the process. Our vet had fully explained it to us. And even if small amounts of chocolates couldn't do harm, why would be bet on that? No chocolate for the dogs - that's it.

Posted : 25/03/2016 3:21 am
lamanlupa
(@lamanlupa)

I have heard of how fatal chocolate is to dogs in one of Louis CK's comedic performances. At first, it did sound ridiculous-- c'mon, it is chocolate! One of the finest pleasures in life. Then, I heard it another time from another person. It seems to be true enough. So, I kept it in mind not to sacrifice my pet's life as far as chocolate is concerned. Reading your article just proves that I am on the right track as far as not poisoning my dogs.

Posted : 25/03/2016 5:38 am
SheepDog
(@sheepdog)
Eminent Member

Don't forget about the sugar that chocolate contains. It' might not be harmful in short term but it can lead to blindness if chronicaly ingested. There are some chocolated that are more sugar than chocolate...

How much of chocolate is fatal also depends on how big the dog is.

Posted : 16/05/2016 8:01 am
RavenStar
(@ravenstar)

Yes, I heard many people saying that chocolate is pretty harmful for your dog. However back in the day my dog used to eat some chocolate now and then. I'm not talking about the whole box of course but one or two sweets few times a month and it really didn't have any effect on him. As being said maybe it depends on the size because mine was pretty big.

Posted : 02/06/2016 3:08 am
 Liza
(@liza)

Dogs don't eat for enjoyment. They pretty much are happy with protein foods or protein-based dog food. But they don't crave the variety that we humans do. So they are not interested in candy, cakes, or other sweet treats.

Actually, we could take a lesson from their eating habits. A little food several times a day, whatever meets our energy requirements, and stay away from junk.

Posted : 02/06/2016 9:11 am
Rolo
 Rolo
(@rolo)

Less than an ounce of dark chocolate can kill a 44-pound dog? That's crazy, I never knew that. I knew that chocolate was bad for dogs but I didn't know dark chocolate was so much worse and I didn't know so little could be so damaging. I actually know someone who gives their dog a small amount of chocolate on semi-regular occasions - not much and not that often but isn't there such a thing as chocolate intentionally produced for dogs? Why not use that instead?

Posted : 02/06/2016 5:21 pm
dame6089
(@dame6089)

Like you said, dark chocolate is more dangerous for dogs than standard milk chocolate. I tend to stay on the safe side and make sure my dog avoids all types of chocolate. But I have heard stories of dogs that enjoy a mini Hershey's milk chocolate bar daily as a treat. While it sounds scary, some dogs are fine with this and live normal healthy lives. For me though, I will continue freaking out every time chocolate drops on the floor around my dog lol.

Posted : 04/06/2016 4:44 am
Kevin Couture
(@kevin-couture)

Like you said, dark chocolate is more dangerous for dogs than standard milk chocolate. I tend to stay on the safe side and make sure my dog avoids all types of chocolate. But I have heard stories of dogs that enjoy a mini Hershey's milk chocolate bar daily as a treat. While it sounds scary, some dogs are fine with this and live normal healthy lives. For me though, I will continue freaking out every time chocolate drops on the floor around my dog lol.

I also try to avoid any contacts of chocolate and my dog

Posted : 10/06/2016 10:16 am
rz3300
(@rz3300)
Eminent Member

I seem to learn this and then forget it about once every two years or so, so thanks for my almost yearly reminder. I have some good memories of my mother freaking out when our dog got a little piece of chocolate when I was growing up. She thought that it was poison and the smallest dab could kill. We always used to chuckle because we knew our little guy was tough and we knew that he could handle it.

Posted : 06/08/2016 4:37 pm
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

We used to have a big labrador and german shepherd and she ate the entire chocolate bar. She didn't vomit or sick or anything. I think the chocolate bar isn't big enough for her weight, but it was scary!

Posted : 06/08/2016 4:44 pm
valvulaeconniventes
(@valvulaeconniventes)
Trusted Member

Yes, the chemical in the chocolate is what's harmful. Be safe, don't give any chocolate to dogs. Saves you a dog or a trip to the vet

Posted : 07/02/2018 6:49 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: