8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
jyy
 jyy
(@jyy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Some people say there is no difference, and I have seen that dogs often love cat food. Nonetheless, it might not be nutritionally designed for dogs. Anyway, how about the opposite? Is dog food good for a cat?

Posted : 09/02/2018 4:56 pm
(@jb-fernandez)

If depends on the nutritional facts of that dog food. If it would also fit for cats, why not?
And of course if the cat would consider eating it. You should also consider asking a vet about this concern.

Posted : 09/02/2018 5:29 pm
james0820
(@james0820)

Some people said that if your cat ate a dog food, it cause him/her to have a heart disease. So that`s why you should not let your cat to eat a dog food because it contains some molecule that make your cats immune system to be weakened.

Posted : 09/02/2018 6:00 pm
jyy
 jyy
(@jyy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Some people said that if your cat ate a dog food, it cause him/her to have a heart disease. So that`s why you should not let your cat to eat a dog food because it contains some molecule that make your cats immune system to be weakened.

An article was noting that cats cannot naturally produce taurine or Vitamin A. This stuff is not found in dog food. Anyway, the opposite, dogs eating cat food isn't as serious - but mind you, dogs are omnivores but cats are not.

Posted : 09/02/2018 8:11 pm
(@marvz0101)

I believe that cats and dogs have different needs when it comes to food like they have different nutrients designed for their body. I have read that dog food can cause blindness and a weak heart if you let a cat eat that. So if you want a healthy kitty feed it with a food labeled for cats.

Posted : 10/02/2018 3:12 am
Fox
 Fox
(@fox)

I have a dog and two cats and we don't feed them each other's food. When the pup just arrived he did try and eat the cat's food but they showed him not to, haha. So now, he doesn't even try to anymore.

I honestly think that there's a reason for having cats and dogs food. They do have some ingredients that can be viewed as similar such as chunks of meat but there are some that will fit better for the animal-specific needs.

Posted : 10/02/2018 9:03 am
daggy24
(@daggy24)

To be fair I'm pretty sure most mainstream animal food companies don't put that much effort into ensuring their food is balanced for either type of pet, but from what I understand since dogs are omnivorous and cats are not, it's much more dangerous to feed a cat dog food in the long run (which often has a ton of ingredients other than meat and is bulked up with grain) then it is to feed a dog cat food. I have noticed lower quality cat foods do include fillers and grains and therefore are more similar to low quality dog food, but that stuff really isn't the best nor is it based on science (I'm talking like, the super discount brands that are known for causing reactions and such.)

Posted : 12/02/2018 8:47 am
MomoStarr16
(@momostarr16)
Eminent Member

There's nothing wrong with that and it don't have any side effect for cats. But of course it is not for them. The nutrients it gives will never satisfy what a cat needs. It is not appropriate.

Posted : 21/02/2018 2:49 am
Share: