How do you give your cat a bath?

20 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I usually have to fill the tub with warm water first. While the tub is filling up, I put away everything but the cat shampoo, conditioner, cup, and towels. I tie the shower curtain around the bar so my cats won't climb up it. Then I go on the hunt for one of my dangerous fur-balls. I tend to grab Drew first because he's the most aggressive in the tub and once one is in the tub the other knows. Once I've captured a fur-ball, I carry them to the bathroom and shut the door before putting my cat in the tub. I have to keep them faced towards the wall or I'll need a blood transfusion. I have the sweetest cats until they're wet and then they're demons. But once they are out of the tub, they'll glare at me but let me dry them with a towel. Then I let them loose and I won't see them for two to three days, depending how mad they end up at me.

How to you give your cat a bath?

Posted : 22/03/2016 5:58 pm
Valerie
(@valerie)
Trusted Member

Lol, this made me laugh. All the memories of when I tried to give my cats baths suddenly bubbled up.
Geddit? Seriously though, every time I tried to give a cat of mine a bath (I've had a lot of cats), I'd end up looking like I'd been wrapped in barbed wire. Usually I have to wrap them in a towel, lower them down, turn on the shower head, and prey they don't shred through the towel. Once they've calmed down, I can grab a hold of the scruff and gently use the towel to wipe them down while simultaneously extricating them from said fabric.

There was one cat, though, Niko, my baby, who'd gotten fleas from the house I'd rescued him from. It took my family and I awhile to realize that him and his sister, Lola, had fleas as bad as they did. We were instructed to give them medicated flea baths. Bathing him was such a breeze. It wasn't that he liked water, because he bellowed and howled the entire time, but as soon as he touched the water he got rigor mortis haha. I always hoped he never fall in a puddle or something.

Freelance Writer, Dance, and Fitness Professional living abroad in Japan.
Feel free to visit my <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="website">website or check out <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Fiverr">Fiverr.

Posted : 23/03/2016 12:37 am
Frisbee
(@frisbee)
Trusted Member

I would have thought anything involving putting a cat near water would involve wearing several layers of armour and gardening gloves. My first cat, when I was a child, hated baths, but since he had a habit of finding something bad for him and getting covered in it he had them frequently. By bad for him, I mean, car soap, creosote, paint, the works.

Given what he was covered in, we couldn't use the bath, so it used to be a two or three person job in the garage with the door closed, a tub of water, and a lot of yowling. We always had to wear layers after he tried to climb out up my arm and literally went for the throat (The second he was away from water he loved me again, and seemed quite surprised I was bleeding). Baths were normally also accompanied with cutting the worst of whatever it was out, so come to think of it, he might not have been too fond of the lion cut he wore frequently.

Posted : 23/03/2016 12:38 am
(@autumn_hearthwitch)
Eminent Member

I have three cats and a couple before them and have never put any of them in the bath. I know better, otherwise I'd end up getting wrapped up like a mummy with all the bandage. My cats, however, are indoor cats. I feel bad sometimes that they don't go outside but we live in an area where there are a lot of coyotes and I have no interest in losing a cat that way. Not to mention whatever they can catch out there in the woods including fleas and ticks.

I can't say I've NEVER given a cat a bath as when I was younger I did have an outdoor cat and she got involved with a skunk. We had to bathe her in tomato juice and she was not impressed. Especially when her normally grey fur turned orange for a few weeks.

Posted : 16/05/2016 9:29 am
forest_kitten
(@forest_kitten)

All of the cats I've ever had hated bath time (I keep waiting for that mythical creature cat that enjoys water), but I've found a routine that keeps them calmest. I fill up the bathtub a few inches, so it would reach their belly when they are in. I do it while they are out of the bathroom, so the running water doesn't scare them. I also fill up a pitcher with water and have it ready to go.

Once I coax the cat into the bathroom, I put some cat shampoo on my damp hands and pet the cat until he is sufficiently soaped up in the most important areas (back, stomach, head, neck). Then comes the painful part. I gently place the cat in the bathtub, get into it myself, and together we try to get the shampoo off with the pitcher. After everyone is done howling and crying, I grab the prepared towels and we cuddle together. All in all, the process takes ten minutes but feels like an eternity.

Posted : 16/05/2016 9:45 am
(@autumn_hearthwitch)
Eminent Member

I have one cat who actually likes getting in the tub after we've taken a shower. I know, it's gross but she does. I wonder if I put a bit of water in beforehand and see if she'll still go in. I'm not talking a lot, just enough that she definitely gets her paws wet as soon as she gets in. I'm going to try it and after a few times of doing that, maybe incorporate shampoo and such, nothing to traumatize her, just baby steps and see where it leads us.

Posted : 16/05/2016 9:56 am
sillylucy
(@sillylucy)
Eminent Member

I take my cat to the groomers now! I can't deal with giving him a bath anymore. The last time I did it he scratched me up real good. He climbed up onto my shoulders and then tried to run down my back. It was not a pleasant experience to say the least.

Posted : 16/05/2016 11:07 am
rz3300
(@rz3300)
Eminent Member

Well I must admit that I have here out of pure curiosity, so I apologize for those looking for tips, because I have none. The reason for my curiosity is that I have had a cat and I had two growing up, and in all of my experience with cats I have never even considered bathing them or attempted to do so. I can just imagine how it would go, and I do not want to go through that. I am glad that some people seem to have it down though.

Posted : 18/05/2016 2:41 pm
OutOfSpoons
(@outofspoons)

For our really big cats, we fill up a tub of water, and plop them right in. They despise it, but after a minute or two of being held in the warm water, they get used to it and stop trying to tear us up with their claws. Then we use some baby shampoo and lather them up. After that, we just rinse them off, dry them with a towel, and let them go do the rest. For our small cats, it's the same process but in a sink.

Posted : 31/05/2016 5:16 pm
thomas pendrake
(@thomas-pendrake)

My observation over the years has been that they usually do a pretty good job of taking care of that task on their own. When forced to do an emergency bathing I try to get help and long kevlar gloves. It is also useful to have a dog that grooms his (or her) pet cat.

Posted : 31/05/2016 6:47 pm
BelgiansFTW
(@belgiansftw)
Eminent Member

Oh God it doesn't look like your cat has a sense of humor. LOL. I take care of my parent's cat and had to give it a bath once, 'it' is a real devil. I warmed up the bath for Devil but he didn't care he just wanted out of the water. In retrospect I should've worn gloves now my cat scars are permanent.

Posted : 01/06/2016 4:00 am
Kittepup
(@kittepup)

Add one more to the number of people who don't bathe their cats! All of mine are indoor cats, though, and they do a very good job of grooming themselves. It's never seemed necessary, at least not since once was a very, very tiny kitten and didn't know how to groom herself yet - and at that age, bathing them really isn't any trouble!

Posted : 02/06/2016 12:29 pm
abonnen
(@abonnen)

I had hardly never gave my cats bath (once a year) but lately I have been giving my cats a bath weekly, we are having a BAD flea problem we have tried everything from zip strips to flea pills. Anyway back on topic, I fill the tub with luke-warm water I fill it up where it will be at their neck, and I use original blue dawn dish soap (best thing I have found for fleas). I place shylah in the tub first, she enjoys bath and swims around in it. I get them wet take them out lather them in soap, let it set for a bit and then put them back in and rinse out the soap. I do this with Jasper (my long haired cat), and bubble (small short hair) as well as Shylah. Now Muffs he HATES baths, I use a small tub (like what you use for dishes) and pour water over him, lather him is soap and rinse him all in that small tub.

Posted : 06/08/2016 8:11 pm
Perrito
(@perrito)
Eminent Member

Well, I currently have a cute cat which I've given a single bath in his entire life, it was a very hard thing to do back then, he was about to kill me the day I just made him feel the water for the first time, I do not really know if it's true but a lot of people say that cats do not need to take baths because they take it themselves when sliding their tongues all over their bodies, I know it makes sense, but I do not really know if there is anything true about it.

Posted : 06/08/2016 9:23 pm
ivukadinovic
(@ivukadinovic)
Eminent Member

[USER=56]@sillylucy[/USER] that is a good idea. My question for you is how much does that service cost? My cat doesn't have such problem with taking a bath, he likes water and getting wet. The only problem is we don't own a bath, we have a shower so the only way to bathe my Tomas is to put him under the shower spout. Our problems begin as Tomas gets scared of loud noises and water running unnaturally. This is a big stress for him. So I would like to take him to a professional instead.

Posted : 07/02/2018 11:53 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: