Pure Bred or Barn Cat?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I don't know if you call a mixed bred cat a mutt, but I grew up with them being called barn cats even if they aren't born in a barn. Do you have a preference? I know I like a couple pure bred breeds but I've only had barn cats for pets. Most of them had been kittens off my grandma's farm but a few were from friends. Do you have a preference?

Posted : 16/05/2016 12:20 am
(@autumn_hearthwitch)
Eminent Member

I don't really have a preference but I will say I've only had barn cats as well. And yes, I've always called them barn cats, I don't think they're called mutts but I suppose I could be wrong. It's not to say that I'd never get a pure bred but my little barn cats have been the best I have ever had. I have had a couple of cats from the SPCA which in the long run are probably barn cats as well, but I've never had a problem with any.

Posted : 16/05/2016 9:41 am
sillylucy
(@sillylucy)
Eminent Member

I call them feral cats if they are super wild and I find them on the street. I have a few feral cats right now that sleep in my backyard or in my shed. I feed them and they come up to me and give me love, but they are wary if I try to carry them around. I give them their space and they give me love if I am sitting down in the back.

Posted : 16/05/2016 11:01 am
Valerie
(@valerie)
Trusted Member

The best cats I've ever had have been complete mutts. Strays off the street. Rescues from garbage cans. They just seem to love their saviors more and have a depth of personality that doesn't compare to purebreds. There are times when I even questioned the origin of my stray/adopted cats' birth -- as in, maybe the father wasn't a cat at all, but some kind of missing link. Then I had adopted two kittens years ago that were the result of a son impregnating his mother, who loved dipping her paws in alcohol. Never knew that cats could get fetal alcohol syndrome or something akin to Downs Syndrome. But, that doesn't stop them from being absolutely incredible companions.

Every purebred cat I've seen has serious egocentric issues, lol. They're all like Frasier Cranes; and as much as I like Frasier, I always end up wanting to punch him in face.

Freelance Writer, Dance, and Fitness Professional living abroad in Japan.
Feel free to visit my <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="website">website or check out <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Fiverr">Fiverr.

Posted : 16/05/2016 12:47 pm
lexinonomous
(@lexinonomous)
Eminent Member

I do not have a preference when it comes to the breed of a cat. Honestly, I could see myself being happy to own any breed of cat, though this doesn't mean I don't appreciate certain breeds. I would love to own a Bengal cat, but they are fairly expensive. I have never had a specific breed of cat, so to me they were always barn cats. They acted no different than any other cat I met.

Pure bred cats tend to be a bit snooty. I have met a few pure breds and they have always had very particular interests and only took to certain people in the household. Usually, the owners will warn me about their cat not playing well with others.

Posted : 16/05/2016 5:19 pm
rz3300
(@rz3300)
Eminent Member

When it comes to cats I much less worried about breeds, and I am not really sure of the reason for that but that is just how it is. As long as they are cute and playful I am okay, and I think maybe it is the fact that it is much harder to tell the difference between breeds like it is with dogs. Either way, they are good friends to have around.

Posted : 16/05/2016 6:27 pm
lexinonomous
(@lexinonomous)
Eminent Member

When it comes to cats I much less worried about breeds, and I am not really sure of the reason for that but that is just how it is. As long as they are cute and playful I am okay, and I think maybe it is the fact that it is much harder to tell the difference between breeds like it is with dogs. Either way, they are good friends to have around.

It's funny how we worry less about cat breeds, but seem to appreciate dog breeds much more. I noticed this when I was responding to the dog breed thread. I feel like if the cat is not aggressive, then I really don't have an issue with taking it in. So long as the cat is lovable and shows no signs of attitude problems, I'm perfectly content.

Posted : 16/05/2016 8:20 pm
OutOfSpoons
(@outofspoons)

All of our cats are mixed breed cats, and we just call them trash cats. It's mostly an affectionate nickname, really, since a lot of our cats like to knock over our trash can. Otherwise, though, we just call them mutts or mixed breed cats.
I'd love to own a purebred cat, but really only because of their coats and their beauty. I don't see much difference between a mutt cat and a purebred, unless you want to take them to cat shows. Even mixed breed cats can have beautiful coats, though, so it really doesn't matter to me too much.

Posted : 30/05/2016 11:46 am
Novelangel
(@novelangel)

Honestly, I have always preferred the 'mutt' cats over purebreds any day of the week. They are not only unique in color or form, but also they seem to be healthier at times, than your expensive pure bred cats. My vet has always classified our cats as 'American Shorthair', or 'American Longhair'. Apparently in the world of Veterinarians, there is no such thing as a 'mutt' cat. 😉 I have a perfect little Calico cat. She too, is classified as 'American Shorthair', so I guess that breed can cover a lot of territory... as well as breeding (ahem) challenges.

Posted : 01/06/2016 1:01 pm
Share: