Swimming with dogs

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Ladyferoz
(@ladyferoz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

It's getting warmer and warmer each day. Yesterday I took my puppy to a swimming pool (asked for permission and they didn't mind dogs after hours) and he loved it.

He is not such a great swimmer though. He just jumped straight into the water, paddled and almost sunk. My boyfriend took him out before he drowned. He is a courageous pup, isn't scared of anything and the type to just jump in pools without prior experience of swimming.

We slowly showed him the entrance part of the pool and helped him paddle on the shallow side. I ordered a flotation device online to help him a little. We will keep being next to him until we are confident that he knows how to swim then I can tan on the side as he swims.

Does your dog swimming and do you let them swim unsupervised?

Posted : 23/03/2016 12:22 am
hachiko
(@hachiko)
Eminent Member

To be honest, our dogs don't go to swimming pools or beaches with us. So I don't know for sure if they can swim but yeah, most dogs do know how to swim. The problem is, we live far from the beaches where dogs are allowed to swim. I doubt swimming pools within our area will allow our dogs to frolic in the water. Resorts here are quite strict in that sense.

We're thinking about buying a small, portable pool for them though. Something that's deep enough to swim on for them but not shallow enough that their legs are able to reach the bottom. We've found a few non-inflatable pools. These pools where you just stand them up without the need for putting air in them. This is in case our dogs scratch and pop them or even bite the inflatable ones.

I guess we would let them swim unsupervised if we're sure that they are quite experts already, like what you're doing. But we'd still be nearby in case an accident occurs.

Posted : 24/03/2016 6:06 pm
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

There are obviously certain breeds like poodles and labradors are great swimmers while other dogs were bred for other things. I would look at leg to body proportions and the smaller and stubbier the legs the more you need to watch your dog swim to avoid drowning. If your in a pool and your dog can swim that's great, but be careful swimming with your dog in the ocean or in a river. The way dogs swim sends out a vibration of sounds that similar to a distressed fish and will attract sharks. Don't think that your dog is safe in a river or pond, bull sharks are very aggressive and are able to swim in fresh water. So please be safe and aware of danger when swimming with your dogs.

Posted : 15/05/2016 6:22 pm
(@xtinx)
Eminent Member

Our dogs don't swim unfortunately. In fact, they've never been anywhere near pools or any body of water for that matter. My parents are always busy and they have some stuff to do all the time. I also can't drive. Hopefully, when I do learn to drive and my parents have more free time, I intend to take all our dogs to the nearby beach. They all deserve a break and need to stretch their muscles once in a while.

Posted : 15/05/2016 7:53 pm
valvulaeconniventes
(@valvulaeconniventes)
Trusted Member

Our dogs don't swim, but they love taking baths. If your dog does swim, it is best to have them supervised to be on the safe side of things.

Posted : 07/02/2018 7:30 pm
Zuby
 Zuby
(@zuby)
Trusted Member

I found out that my dog loves swimming, so I had his own little pool designed up for him. It's more like an inflated prop that I can fill up with water and it serves as his pool. I try as much as possible to let him have a pool swimming time at least twice in a week. 

Posted : 25/12/2022 9:23 am
 Hank
(@hank)
Eminent Member

My dog now knows how to on my tap outdoor and have a good bath for himself. He enjoys water so much and that makes him to demand for his bath all the time by going into the bathroom and sit. We usually go to dog pool in my neighbourhood once in a while. 

Posted : 13/06/2023 4:32 am
Dori
 Dori
(@dori)
Eminent Member

As for my dogs, we have been in the water on several occasions. They love it and I enjoy it too. 

Whenever I have the time, we all usually go for a good long swim to have fun. 

Posted : 06/07/2023 9:37 am
(@bumble)
Trusted Member

My dogs also love to swim and whenever we get the chance to go to the swimming pool where we normally hang out, they always enjoy to swim for hours before they get tired and I always like taking them there because I know it is something they enjoy doing. 

Posted : 09/04/2024 10:10 am
Share: