Small vs. Big Dogs

49 Posts
47 Users
0 Reactions
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I prefer bigger dogs, not Wolfhound sized but like German Shepherd, for practical reasons. If a dog decides to sneak into my bed while I sleep, I'm less concerned with rolling over and accidentally killing my pet. They don't seem to bark or run around the house as much. But having lived in an apartment for a couple years, I can understand having a smaller dog. And I knew truckers who had small dogs that would travel with them across the country. While my grandpa lived on a huge farm and had a bigger dog because it was less likely to get eaten by raccoons, coyotes, and cougars. So there is that. I prefer bigger dogs usually, though I appreciate the cuteness of small dogs. What about you?

Posted : 17/05/2016 12:24 pm
hippyzomby
(@hippyzomby)

I currently have a big dog, he sits on me and makes sure I know I am loved. I prefer smaller dogs because they can be taken along in any vehicle, since I had to get rid of my truck I cannot take our dog anywhere. He gets excited in the back and climbs over the children and tries to get into the front seat. We gave up trying to take him on little rides to that park so now we triple walk him a day to make up for that missing time.

Posted : 17/05/2016 3:24 pm
sillylucy
(@sillylucy)
Eminent Member

I prefer smaller dogs because small dogs equals small poops to deal with. Big dogs have such huge poops and it is so annoying to deal with! Does that make me a bag pet owner?

Posted : 17/05/2016 4:17 pm
themusicliveson
(@themusicliveson)

I have such a soft spot for big dogs. I love them and think they're beautiful but I've only owned one in my life. I never take on a dog unless I know I can give it everything it deserves and big dogs are so much more expensive than small dogs. I had a sheepdog and I constantly worried if I was feeding him properly. He was the best guard dog though.

Posted : 17/05/2016 5:14 pm
DrizzleB
(@drizzleb)
Eminent Member

I prefer smaller dogs because small dogs equals small poops to deal with. Big dogs have such huge poops and it is so annoying to deal with! Does that make me a bag pet owner?

No, at least I don't think so. Sounds like you just can't stand tons of poop! hehe.

If God were to create something heavier than he could lift, wouldn't he not be a God? Paradoxes. 😀

Posted : 17/05/2016 6:27 pm
DrizzleB
(@drizzleb)
Eminent Member

I can't handle a large dog at all. I'm only 84 pounds at the most. So, only medium and small doggies. I only owned medium ones so far. I want another one because I'm tired of all the chihuahuas and mini poodles in my area. -_-

If God were to create something heavier than he could lift, wouldn't he not be a God? Paradoxes. 😀

Posted : 17/05/2016 6:29 pm
(@msuff)

I love small dogs too!!!

Posted : 17/05/2016 7:18 pm
(@xtinx)
Eminent Member

I prefer big and medium-sized dogs because they have a calmer and more docile temperament compared to miniature-sized dogs. I don't know if you've guys observed this but dogs like Chihuahuas, Pomeranians, Dachshunds and Miniature Pinchers are very aggressive. Big dogs can be like that too but they usually maintain distance. The little ones, however, look like they have a death wish. They charge without reservations.

But there are other reasons why I prefer big dogs, they're really so huggable and they pose a more serious threat to people with bad intentions.

Posted : 17/05/2016 7:32 pm
SirJoe
(@sirjoe)
Eminent Member

No, just particle. That is something that is often over looked, I would just add one more thing big poops big appetite.

Posted : 18/05/2016 12:08 am
Valerie
(@valerie)
Trusted Member

Back when I was in high school, there was a guy that summed up my love of big dogs with this sentence: "I just love those big, stupid-looking dogs with their tongues hanging out, lop-sided." I realized that every time I image my ideal dog, it's a dopey-looking German Shepherd, Great Pyrenees or something else along those lines. But honestly, medium-sized dogs are amazing too. I love me some Border Collies and Shiba Inu dogs.

Though I don't mind smaller and toy dog breeds, something about them reminds me too much of infants. I'm not very maternal, and so I can't really attach myself to smaller dogs. Plus, their high-pitched, frantic barking would drive me up a wall. Also, I'm rather klutzy. That spells danger for the little buggers if they happen to get under my feet.

Freelance Writer, Dance, and Fitness Professional living abroad in Japan.
Feel free to visit my <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="website">website or check out <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Fiverr">Fiverr.

Posted : 18/05/2016 12:51 am
oportosanto
(@oportosanto)
Eminent Member

I am in between really. A big dog is something that requires a lot of maintenance and more expenses, so I prefer a medium sized dog. Smaller dogs are ok, but sometimes they are so tiny that we can't even play with them properly.

Posted : 18/05/2016 2:05 am
jahroberts
(@jahroberts)

I prefer big dogs, just because I love playfighting.

But obviously growing up I had small dogs, but as I got older the dogs got bigger! Will have to get a smaller one eventually when I start a family.

But for the moment, big dogs it is!

Posted : 18/05/2016 2:06 am
BelgiansFTW
(@belgiansftw)
Eminent Member

Yeah I like big dogs too. I'd like a dog that I can hug with all of my body. I love small dogs but it takes a certain kind of trainer or animal lover to love a small thing, they need a lot of care. Big dogs you can be rough with, you can play in the ground, in the mud or in the park with and I'm a really active person so I enjoy those kinds of activities.

Posted : 18/05/2016 3:15 am
forest_kitten
(@forest_kitten)

The idea of having a pet that is close to you in size is kind of awesome - you can get full body hugs, they will keep up with you if you go jogging, and they can make you feel ok about your portion sizes at dinner.

But then, as others mentioned above, there are the pitfalls of large dogs - huge poop, buying a ton of food, being knocked down by a surprise hug, and not being able to wrestle your dog into the car to take it to the vet.

As a fairly small human, I think I'll stick to the small and medium-sized dogs that I can always feel like I have ultimate control over if I need to pick them up or remove them from a dangerous situation.

Posted : 18/05/2016 4:47 am
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

I like small to medium size dogs, not toy-size dogs though! My dog is a medium size dog and it is fun to play with him. Also, there is a sense of protection with a medium size dog when we are out. Strangers are a bit more intimidated in approaching me than with a small dog. My dog doesn't show the aggressive side of protected instinct, but his bark is deep and loud, so that is enough to keep people at bay 🙂

Posted : 18/05/2016 4:48 am
Page 1 / 4
Share: