Hamsters / Guinea Pigs

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
aquaticneko
(@aquaticneko)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Do anyone have any experience with these little fellas?

This is pretty much what mine looks like now. Except I don't want anyone thinking I'm raising a tiny psycopath. She bites everything. I've had her checked at the vet and nothing was wrong. I used to have a couple. I have now placed her hubby in a separate cage because she bites him! She bit him so hard he bled, I had to instantly take him out and first aid it. Strange enough both hamsters, when played with separately, are cuddly. They allow you to hand feed them and they will both hop into your hand.

Anyone know of anyway to introduce them little by little so that they will like each other? 🙁

Posted : 21/03/2016 3:55 am
rachklew
(@rachklew)
Eminent Member

It is usually pretty hard to introduce two hamsters, especially ones from different litters, and it can even be dangerous for the hamsters. If you are really desperate to try, I would start by placing the cages next to one another, and seeing how that goes. Watch how they interact when they see each other and go from there.

Posted : 16/05/2016 9:29 pm
Valerie
(@valerie)
Trusted Member

Same thing happened to me, OP, with litter mate hamsters.

Gerbils tend to do the same thing if they are not litter mates (though I didn't have that problem with mine). Sometimes even litter mates begin to lose their "blood ties" and desire independence; so they get violent. Separate sexes are even more harder to keep together, because one might get territorial or sexually frustrated.

A way to introduce hamsters and gerbils that don't know each others is, as stated above, to put the separate housing side-by-side. This works best with glass to glass, because you can put a slat of cardboard between them if they get too wild at the sight of one another. Otherwise, you can separate an aquarium with a sheet of Plexiglas (or something transparent) and slowly lift it to where they can smell but not touch one another. This will allow them to learn to tolerate each other's presence without violence.

Freelance Writer, Dance, and Fitness Professional living abroad in Japan.
Feel free to visit my <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="website">website or check out <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Fiverr">Fiverr.

Posted : 17/05/2016 12:51 am
heavymetalkilos
(@heavymetalkilos)
Eminent Member

Hamsters are fascinating little creatures that I used to own! The thing is - you can't really make them to stop biting if it's their habit. Hamsters also tend to bite each other and they don't really like to be around each other, so most of the time you have to have separate cages for them so they wouldn't kill each other. I don't really know why it's like that but I accepted the fact and kind of moved on. That's why I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with your hamster!

Posted : 17/05/2016 1:11 pm
Shellatin
(@shellatin)

It looks like a Syrian hamster, and in my experience they are pretty aggressive with each other. I purchased two female hamsters from the pet store (any experienced hamster owner will think I'm an idiot just from that information), because the clerk said they were sisters and that she thought they loved each other and shouldn't be separated. The sales clerk obviously didn't know anything about Syrian hamsters! Once they get past basically their adolescence, they become territorial.

Long story short, I came home from work one night to find one hamster cornered by the other and fighting to the death. Luckily I had already seen some signs of aggression and did research online and found that they shouldn't be housed together, so I already had another cage all set up. It was terrible; because of being misinformed by this woman I had to do twice as much cage cleanup and twice as much expense to take care of them. I loved both of my hammies, though! They had their own distinct personalities and lived a little over 3 years each.

Posted : 18/05/2016 8:10 am
Christavia
(@christavia)

I had a pair of hamsters, in fact they were my first pets. They were so adorable, their names were Chuck and Chucky. Chuck was white and Chucky had a champagne color. I put their cage outside to clean in and stepped back inside for soap but when I came out the cage was on the ground and neither Chuck nor Chucky was anywhere to be found.

Posted : 01/06/2016 4:02 am
puli93
(@puli93)
Eminent Member

I had smaller hamster when I was in middle school. I remember he having one of those running wheels and it was so noisy all the time, but especially at night. It sadly died after a while, but I have nice memories of having it.

I think hamsters are good pet to keep is a small apartment or when your child really want a small animal.

Posted : 02/06/2016 10:08 am
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

Do anyone have any experience with these little fellas?

This is pretty much what mine looks like now. Except I don't want anyone thinking I'm raising a tiny psycopath. She bites everything. I've had her checked at the vet and nothing was wrong. I used to have a couple. I have now placed her hubby in a separate cage because she bites him! She bit him so hard he bled, I had to instantly take him out and first aid it. Strange enough both hamsters, when played with separately, are cuddly. They allow you to hand feed them and they will both hop into your hand.

Anyone know of anyway to introduce them little by little so that they will like each other? 🙁

Hamsters are burrowing creatures, they need dig and bite through matterials to be happy. To be really happy they need more than a couple of inches of bedding and wheel. They need to have almost twenty inches of bedding that they can dig through and make a home out of. They also need materials that they can bite through and nibble on to get that aggression out. She's not being a psychopath because she bites, she's specialized to craft homes using her teeth and claws and you probably haven't given her a proper outlet. Plus, hamster's teeth grow throughout their life and that is how they maintain their teeth. Hamsters are also very territorial, I've never had a pair that I could keep together unless they were breeding, and that was mostly temporary.

Posted : 06/08/2016 9:08 pm
(@flint)

I wanted to keep a hamster when I was still a teenager. I loved them so much but unfortunately the one I had for myself for killed my my grandma's cat. I was so heartbroken and never got any new one again. I'm thinking about getting a rabbit next. 

Posted : 14/04/2023 10:32 am
Share: