Clear all

Dog Siblings

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Reactions
Loopulk
(@loopulk)
Topic starter

I have two dogs: Daisy and Lily. Both are bichon frises. Daisy is two years older than Lily, and is slightly bigger. They often get along, but when they get too close to one another (aside from looking out the big window that we have in the front), Daisy gets angry at Lily and growls at her, sometimes fake biting too! One time, I remember Daisy was sitting on Lily but didn't know. Once Daisy discovered that she was on Lily, she (Daisy) started growling at her (Lily)!

So how do your dog siblings act towards one another? Are they similar?

Posted : 12/03/2016 9:04 pm
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

I think Daisy is trying to established dominant and just wanted Lily to know who is the boss in the house giving the fact that it was Daisy's house first. Once Lily knows that she is second in command, they will be best friends!

This happened to us to when my nephew brought his dog over, Capone made sure that the other dog knows his place and follow orders in our household. He growled if the other dog took his toys or ate his food. As long as they have a common ground, they got along just fine.

Posted : 13/03/2016 3:58 am
Loopulk
(@loopulk)
Topic starter

Well, it's been years and Daisy still does it! It used to be worse, though. The night that we originally got Lily, Daisy up upset that Lily was sleeping in the bed. I guess she has gotten a little bit better over time, but Daisy's still the queen bee.

Posted : 13/03/2016 6:37 am
rz3300
(@rz3300)
Eminent Member

I have always wondered what it would be like to have dogs who are related to each other. I have two Boston Terriers and of course they really look alike, but they are not related, even though they might act like it sometimes. I am curious what would they act like if they were related though, and it would be really interesting to study. I wonder if there are any studies out there that do some research for something like this, like a psychological sort of thing.

Posted : 13/03/2016 8:00 am
Loopulk
(@loopulk)
Topic starter

Well, Daisy and Lily aren't actual siblings but we treat them as if they are. That would be interesting to see, Rz3300. It seems that dogs are often split up when they're young, so I'd like to see legitimate sibling dogs together compared to other dogs.

Posted : 13/03/2016 9:28 am
Theboysmom04
(@theboysmom04)
Eminent Member

We had beagle siblings when I was growing up. They got along for the most part. Occasionally though, like human siblings they would have their "disagreements" and snap a each other. I don't think they really got along any different though from the beagle and collie though, who obviously wasn't their real sibling.

Posted : 13/03/2016 9:50 am
beli
 beli
(@beli)
Eminent Member

My Papillon was the top dog and never hesitated to express her dominance. She'd steal all the toys, even the cats'. I had to spread food dishes around so she wouldn't try to eat it all. When traveling, she always rode in the crook of my left arm while I drove, again, establishing dominance. My lab was easygoing. When she first joined our family at age nine months, upon arrival in the dog yard with the Papillon, the lab puppy rolled over onto her back, letting the Papillon know she knew the order of things. There was never any disagreement between them, only harmony. When my lab began top dog upon the Papillon's death, the three cats already had their hierarchy established and the lab was just a much larger, but loving, quiet queen they adored.

Posted : 13/03/2016 3:39 pm
morgoodie
(@morgoodie)
Eminent Member

I have a six year old Boston Terrier and I have had him for almost two years now. In January, I took in a pit bull who will be 9 months old. So for the first couple of weeks, they fought like mad because Bella (pit bull) wanted to play all the time since she is a puppy, but Batman (Boston terrier) wanted nothing to do with it. I think he was trying to establish dominance which is cute since he is much smaller than the pit bull. I mean he literally fits right under her belly. Other than that, they get along pretty good. Batman was not used to being around other dogs so it was a big change for him. They like to curl up and sleep together and they will often wash each others faces. I think it is good for dogs to have company so they do not get lonely if you are away.

Posted : 13/03/2016 5:08 pm
LovesBigFoll
(@lovesbigfoll)

Well, it's been years and Daisy still does it! It used to be worse, though. The night that we originally got Lily, Daisy up upset that Lily was sleeping in the bed. I guess she has gotten a little bit better over time, but Daisy's still the queen bee.

It is common for dog's to express dominance and growl when there is food involved.

But, I would be interested to know if their behavior has anything to do with you.

We have two dogs that only fight when my girlfriend is around. Apparently, it is a matter of jealousy of her attention.

Unfortunately, because the fighting is quite vigorous, the two dogs live separate lives within the same household. Sometimes I have forgotten to keep them separated but my girlfriend was not home. They were just fine!

Posted : 13/03/2016 5:43 pm
(@xtinx)
Eminent Member

Dogs are like that. They're no different from human siblings. Sometimes, they get along with one another. Sometimes, they don't. As far as the subject of food is concerned, however, being siblings doesn't matter. It's always the food that takes precedence. You rarely see them give in. They'd bite each other's heads off just to get hold of the lion's share. During laid back moments when food isn't involved, our dogs get along. They even lick each other's faces or amuse themselves chasing chickens or insects.

Posted : 13/03/2016 7:21 pm
fcuco
(@fcuco)
Eminent Member

My 3 dogs are related, 2 are siblings and the third is a nephew of them both. The 2 siblings never fought or anything like that, perhaps it has to do with the fact that they are female and male. The only fighting that I ever experienced was when the nephew came to live with us, between him and his uncle. Whatever differences that they had are already resolved and now go along nicely.

I don't even know if dogs are aware that they are related, I think they all see each other as members of the same pack.

Posted : 20/03/2016 5:16 pm
Tsuzuko
(@tsuzuko)

My two black labs, 10 month old puppies, used to do nothing but wrestle and fight. We'd keep them in a pen and all you'd hear for a long while was wrestling and then a cry to indicate one had bitten the other too hard. It was a nightmare of scabby and infected ears for a while, especially on Maggie since Molly liked to nip even when they weren't wrestling, but they eventually settled down. They still wrestle but there's hardly a cry to be heard and when it does happen they back off immediately. They're much more civil towards each other now, and you can tell that they're really attached. One will wait for the other if they're being taken out or having something done for them, like ear cleaning, separately and they'll play tug of war and everything together. They try to bond in the same way with my 11 year old border collie, but she doesn't want much to do with them lol.

They're fairly similar, though Molly's a bit more affectionate and excitable/happy (always wagging her tail and giving kisses) while Maggie's more protective, laid back and wants affection.

I used to have another pair of dogs who were sisters, two German Shorthaired Pointers, who acted similarly, but they never learned how to control their nipping and we eventually had to give one up because one injured her sister so often that we were making frequent visits to the vet. Once she basically tore her ear open, it was enough. I missed her deeply, but it had to be done.

Posted : 22/03/2016 6:00 pm
NikkiR
(@nikkir)

I have a pair of dogs, One is older (9), and the other is less than a year. They often play together, but sometimes when the older dog gets tired of the puppies constant need to play, he will get quite mean about telling her no. The puppy is not very good at taking a hint, she is going to grow up to be a very dominant dog.

Posted : 23/03/2016 9:46 am
Share: