Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Dogs Forum
Dogs ForumDogs Forum

Forum

Dog Meat Festival i...

Notifications
Clear all

Dog Meat Festival in China - Must be Stopped!

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@xtinx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I don't know if you guys have heard about the Dog Meat Festival in China, where they mass butcher dogs and roast them on sticks. The moment I heard about and saw pictures of that horrible festival, my heart broke over and over again. For the life of me, I couldn't imagine treating animals in the cruelest way possible.

There have been several petitions the world over, calling for the Chinese government to take action and put an end to this barbaric tradition. However, such petitions have fallen on deaf ears. Chinese officials think they have more pressing issues to consider.

I hope with all my heart that organizations crusading against animal cruelty could intervene and rescue the poor dogs. That festival must be eliminated so that no dog will have to suffer so cruelly again.

Posted : 14/03/2016 5:31 am
joshposh
(@joshposh)
Trusted Member

I have no issues with cultures slaughtering animals and live stock for consumption. But the matter in which they do it is questionable. Chinese have adopted eating basically everything that is made available to them. I love dogs and wouldn't want mine eaten at all. But they have their own culture and they eat dogs on a regular basis. I just question the way the slaughter the dogs.

I don't know if you guys have heard about the Dog Meat Festival in China, where they mass butcher dogs and roast them on sticks. The moment I heard about and saw pictures of that horrible festival, my heart broke over and over again. For the life of me, I couldn't imagine treating animals in the cruelest way possible.

There have been several petitions the world over, calling for the Chinese government to take action and put an end to this barbaric tradition. However, such petitions have fallen on deaf ears. Chinese officials think they have more pressing issues to consider.

I hope with all my heart that organizations crusading against animal cruelty could intervene and rescue the poor dogs. That festival must be eliminated so that no dog will have to suffer so cruelly again.

Are you not from the Philippines? I think you are. I know Filipinos eat dogs. I've seen how they slaughter them also. They don't do it humanely either. I've even watched a farmer bash the brains out one of his dogs because it ate one of his chickens.

Posted : 14/03/2016 5:58 am
morgoodie
(@morgoodie)
Eminent Member

While it horrible, they do have their own culture and who are we to say that they can or cannot eat dogs. That is the same with butchering any animal to eat. Of course, there are less savage ways of killing animals in order to make a meal of them versus the way they do it. I am sure there are many cultures that are foreign to us that have different items on their menus that we would not want on ours.

Posted : 14/03/2016 4:57 pm
aquaticneko
(@aquaticneko)
Eminent Member

It's important to note that while I don't condone this festival whatsoever, the Chinese traditionally have a different breed of dog that should be used and bred as livestock. The equivalent would be an animal rights activist telling us to let our chickens free. A little research brought up the name of the dog. Nureongi. I would not partake in this particular meat as my love of my pets are too much. However, I won't really go as far as stopping them unless some form of animal cruelty is involved or if it is inhumane, suffering etc.

Posted : 14/03/2016 6:10 pm
amethyst
(@amethyst)

I have read reports about the annual Yulin Dog Meat Festival. I even looked at some of the videos showing Chinese people abusing and killing dogs. There are farms where dogs get specially bred for the purpose of being killed and eaten.
I don't know how such behavior can be justified as a "cultural custom". It's beyond words.
I feel the same with cows, sheep, and other animals that get bred only to be consumed by humans. Is a cow less intelligent than a dog?

Posted : 14/03/2016 8:06 pm
aquaticneko
(@aquaticneko)
Eminent Member

I have read reports about the annual Yulin Dog Meat Festival. I even looked at some of the videos showing Chinese people abusing and killing dogs. There are farms where dogs get specially bred for the purpose of being killed and eaten.
I don't know how such behavior can be justified as a "cultural custom". It's beyond words.
I feel the same with cows, sheep, and other animals that get bred only to be consumed by humans. Is a cow less intelligent than a dog?

I'm really not justifying the fact that china eats dog meat. I'm simply trying to be fair as a meat eater. I eat meat. That doesnt mean I don't want the animals I eat to be treated as nice and humanely as possible. Room to roam, live, breathe. It's the treatment of the dogs I don't like. Dozens of them all shoved into a wire cage being led to slaughter. I may eat meat, but the animals raised on my parents farm are treated like kings and queens.

Posted : 15/03/2016 3:18 am
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

The problem isn't really that they eat dogs. We euthanized dogs for not having owners and then just dump them, at least they don't waste the meat. The major problem isn't that they are raising dogs to eat like cattle or eating the strays, it's that they steal people's pets. On youtube, [video=youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n77YR-8uJTA [/video]. A five year old girl finds her pet in a pot. That was someone's pet. But at least they use the whole dog which is way more than they use shark meat.

Posted : 15/03/2016 9:01 am
Arvis
(@arvis)
Eminent Member

That video is very heartbreaking, it's hard for me to imagine eating a dog. After all - there's a saying that a dog is man's best friend (not food).

Posted : 23/03/2016 6:56 am
heavymetalkilos
(@heavymetalkilos)
Eminent Member

This whole thing is almost like us eating cows that Indians consider as holy. For us dogs are pets and will never be nothing else - however we tend to forget that many hundreds of years ago dogs were wild animals. Humans tamed them to be used for hunting and for company, just like what they did for horses. We don't usually think about this enough because for some people cows are loved family members but we raise them to be slaughtered and eaten for dinner. This is a two-sided thing and causes a lot of heat since everyone has a different opinion about this subject.

Posted : 23/03/2016 7:54 am
(@theodore-rainford)

It may be their culture, however, it was shocking for me to see the display of dogs all lined up to be cooked and eaten. I am somewhat perturbed by this scenario as it's my belief that not all animals are placed on earth for human consumption and I believe dogs are in that category.

Posted : 30/05/2016 7:12 pm
peony1234
(@peony1234)

Wow those poor dogs! It hurts my heart to see such images, however, I understand that the Chinese have their own culture and way of life. I believe, the dogs should be treated in a humane way though...what makes me sadder than seeing the killing of these dogs for consumption is seeing bone thin stray dogs wandering the streets of various cities in other countries. Ay me, just thinking about the dogs that were poisoned in Russia makes me want to cry...ugh and not to mention all the stray dogs in Mexico. At least the Chinese eat them, but in other countries dogs are just left to lead miserable lives and ultimately die in the streets.

Posted : 01/06/2016 6:10 pm
My3Sons_NJ
(@my3sons_nj)

The Chinese are not particularly sensitive to human rights as they tolerate mass murder from the authorities, severe pollution and appalling working conditions. We are looking at this festival with disgust and disdain since most of us have been brought up with morals and values that were influenced by Western Civilization which are quite different from those values in the Far East. Our current president ate many dogs while he was studying/living in Indonesia since dogs were considered a normal food source in that country. Just be thankful that our canine friends are living in a country that appreciate the companionship and love that they can offer.

Posted : 06/08/2016 7:12 pm
valvulaeconniventes
(@valvulaeconniventes)
Trusted Member

I agree that it must be stopped. However, it's really difficult to stop when it has been a cultural tradition in the country dating back for centuries. The focus should be on educating the younger ones in China to stop these practices from happening in the future

Posted : 07/02/2018 7:01 pm
junrose123
(@junrose123)
Eminent Member

I understand your sentiment about that particular thing, I really don't want also to see some dogs that are being slaughtered and being eaten regularly, but I also respect them since it has been already their tradition for a longer period of time. Not unless authorities would ban or stopped what they are doing since we all know that in every country there are lot of traditions or culture that are being followed.

Posted : 09/02/2018 8:56 am
Share: