Playing dress up.

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Reactions
aquaticneko
(@aquaticneko)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

What is your opinion on dogs that are dressed up for fashion? Like these pictures I added below. I don't really mind small dogs that have sweaters or socks in colder countries. However, dogs that are dressed up to match its owner purely for the fashion and looks is something I've never liked.

What is your opinion on these kinds of things? Are you with it? Or against it?

Posted : 15/03/2016 3:22 am
Valerie
(@valerie)
Trusted Member

I'm split down the middle. Sometimes it's cute, like when it's cold outside and a terrier's donned an argyle sweater during a potty break. Other times, I think the amount of clothing put on an animal can restrict them too much and that it's just exploitation. Tutus, for example. Putting a dog in a humongous, frilly tutu is ridiculous.

Also, I don't know if it applies to dogs, but I know putting a cat in clothes actually renders them numb. Their fur is very sensitive to touch, so covering them in cloth is essentially like getting covered in a sopping wet sheet. Dogs seem to handle clothes much better than felines though. Maybe they're coats are different.

Freelance Writer, Dance, and Fitness Professional living abroad in Japan.
Feel free to visit my <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="website">website or check out <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Fiverr">Fiverr.

Posted : 15/03/2016 4:45 am
morgoodie
(@morgoodie)
Eminent Member

I do not like dogs in clothes unless it is a sweater for them to go out when it is really cold. I do not believe animals were meant to have clothes on but it is a very lucrative industry since many celebrities like to dress their dogs just like themselves. But, I guess it is up to the owner and as long as it does not hurt the dog then it is their choice.

Posted : 15/03/2016 8:05 am
joshposh
(@joshposh)
Trusted Member

I never liked it. It doesn't make any sense to me. Dogs has fur to keep them warm. Those clothes were put on them to make them cute. I'm sure a feminine individual had something to do with putting clothes on them.

Posted : 15/03/2016 9:10 am
caribbeangirl
(@caribbeangirl)
Eminent Member

Well first of all, I must say that the 2 dogs in this photo look rather cute in their little outfits. However, I do not like the idea of putting clothes on dogs, since I do not think they need them. If there was a kind of dog show or parade just for the fun of it, well then I could go along with that. That would be a fun thing and only meant for the particular event. But as a general rule, I do not believe in dressing up dogs like humans.

Posted : 15/03/2016 10:48 am
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

I don't like making pets wear outfits because they have fur to keep them warm. The exception is for hairless dogs and cats on cold days because they could get really sick. Also, the dogs that do the Iditarod have slippers to keep their feet healthy and that's okay. But I don't like it when people dress their pets for themselves and not for the animals health. I've rarely seen a happy pet wearing an outfit.

Posted : 20/03/2016 4:55 pm
Theboysmom04
(@theboysmom04)
Eminent Member

My dog loves his clothes. He actually prefers them when the unpredictable Ohio weather does whatever it's going to do that week. He has several hoodies for chilly weather, boots for mud and snow and a rain coat for the rain. If it's raining or snowing he refuses to go outside unless he's protected. 🙂

Posted : 20/03/2016 9:11 pm
sillylucy
(@sillylucy)
Eminent Member

I don't like to dress up my dog because he looks so embarrassed whenever I do. He does have a cute handkerchief that he wears and he loves it when he gets all dolled up at the groomer's. He knows that he looks good.

Posted : 20/03/2016 11:21 pm
Benoit W
(@benoit-w)
Trusted Member

I supоrt аnimаl rights, аnd I аgrее thаt dоgs usuаlly dislikе wеаring сlоthеs, аnd аt аll соsts, whеn pоssiblе dоn't put сlоthеs оntо thеm. Hоwеvеr, sоmе brееds оf dоg саn't survivе during thе wintеr оutdооrs fоr lоng pеriоds оf timе withоut сlоthеs. Сhiwаwа dоgs fоr еxаmplе find it diffiсult tо kееp thеir bоdy tеmpеrаturе high еnоugh during sub-zеrо tеmpеrаturеs, аnd if thеy stаy оutdооrs fоr lоng еnоugh аt thоsе tеmpеrаturеs, thеy еxpеriеnсе hypоthеrmiа. Sо I соnсludе thаt yоu shоuld оnly dо it if thе dоg саn't survivе withоut сlоthеs, аnd if yоu dо givе а dоg сlоthеs, mаkе surе thеy'rе соmfоrtаblе аnd thеy fit wеll.

Posted : 22/03/2016 1:16 pm
(@apollo0915)

Dressing up the dogs is cute but i think its not good for the dog. Putting dress to dog is not good because it is not natural and they have a fur that act as their natural coat that protect them from cold. If a person put a dress to a dog it might irritate the dog because imagine you have a fur that keep your body warm then put a dress to you. Are you not get irritated or comfortable with it?

Posted : 07/02/2018 6:25 pm
valvulaeconniventes
(@valvulaeconniventes)
Trusted Member

I don't think it's necessary but as long as the owner is taking good care of it I don't mind them dressing up the dog as long as the pup is comfortable in the clothes.

Posted : 07/02/2018 7:38 pm
MomoStarr16
(@momostarr16)
Eminent Member

Me too. I don't like the idea of putting clothes on my dog. Even though they are look cool and fashioned I feel like they are not comfortable with that. That is not their nature. Look like we are just making fun of them or making them just a toy. For me I don't advocate that.

Posted : 07/02/2018 8:38 pm
Share: