Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Dogs Forum
Dogs ForumDogs Forum

Forum

Whаt аrе imроrtаnt ...

Notifications
Clear all

Whаt аrе imроrtаnt things thаt а first timе dоg оwnеr shоuld knоw?

14 Posts
14 Users
0 Reactions
Benoit W
(@benoit-w)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I think thаt оnе vеry imроrtаnt thing is tо сhооsе thе tyре оf dоg suits yоur реrsоnаlity аnd lifеstylе. Lаid-bасk реорlе dоn't nееd dоgs whо аrе соnstаntly in mоtiоn, аnd if yоu wаnt а dоg whо is hаррy tо gо jоgging with yоu, yоu dоn't wаnt а tiny оnе! Thе first-timе dоg оwnеr nееds tо соnsidеr whаt рurроsе his dоg shоuld sеrvе аnd сhооsе а brееd thаt fits thоsе nееds.

It's аlsо wisе tо сhооsе а dоg with а sоmеwhаt submissivе реrsоnаlity. Dоgs with dоminаnt реrsоnаllitiеs саn bе quitе а hаndful fоr оwnеrs whо hаvе littlе еxреriеnсе with dоgs. Thеy оftеn еnd uр in thе роund bесаusе thе оwnеrs саn't hаndlе thеm.

Yоu аlsо nееd tо undеrstаnd thаt bringing hоmе а dоg is а big rеsроnsibility thаt shоuldn't bе tаkеn lightly. Dоgs hаvе fееlings, tоо, аnd wаnt tо bе lоvеd аnd sреnd timе with thеir fаmiliеs, nоt rеlеgаtеd tо а сhаin in thе bасk yаrd аll dаy.

Whаt аrе imроrtаnt stерs tо tаkе uроn gеtting а dоg? Whаt аrе gооd things tо knоw оr dо thrоughоut thе dоg's lifеsраn?

Рlеаsе try tо аddrеss аs mаny аsресts аs роssiblе, i.е. fееding, соmbing, wаshing, wаlking thе dоg, tаking him оr hеr tо thе vеt, bаsiс оbеdiеnсе trаining еtс. Whеrеvеr роssiblе, dеlvе intо sресifiсs.

Posted : 14/03/2016 2:41 pm
fcuco
(@fcuco)
Eminent Member

A common mistake is to believe that some breeds don't need any type of training, people think that getting one of the "smart" breeds means that you don't need any type of obedience training and that you will not face aggression problems. Any dog can grow up to be a mess regardless of the breed if you fail to properly socialize him.

Another common misconception is that you don't have to walk the dog if he lives in a big backyard, you should walk all dogs no mater how big of an actual space they have, the obvious exception is if you live in a farm or something

Posted : 14/03/2016 11:06 pm
Corzhens
(@corzhens)
Estimable Member

When we had our first dog, I didn't know anything. I was ignorant of dogs and even feeding was alien to me. There was a time that our puppy wouldn't eat so we gave her sardines from the can and she liked it. I guess a new dog owner should know these...

1. Feeding - what kind of food should be given and what food not to be given
2. Bathing - the proper way of bathing a dog, never bathe it when the weather is cold
3. Upkeep - avoid a permanent leash or a cage, dogs love companionship and socializing with you
4. Wellness - at the first sign of sickness, bring to a vet

Those are the most important, maybe.

Posted : 14/03/2016 11:15 pm
djspaniel
(@djspaniel)
Eminent Member

We keep our dog unleashed most of the time. Of course, that's not possible if you're living in the city, but it is important to make sure you don't keep your dog tied all the time.

Training begins as soon as the puppy is born. He will tell you when it needs to go. So, you should start potty training it as soon as it is born by always taking him to the same spot from day 1. Some slip ups are fine.

Also, you should never pour them with too much love because they will return the favor by being extra aggressive to outsiders, which is not something you want.

Posted : 14/03/2016 11:20 pm
Valerie
(@valerie)
Trusted Member

One of the first things I learned when raising a puppy is that you should never let them out of your sight. They will get into everything, just like a human baby, if you let them. Set boundaries immediately. Don't coddle them just because they're oh so fluffy and adorable. In that sense, you teach them the "nothing is for free" rule, making them much more responsive to obedience and behavioral training as they grow up. If they want you to throw the ball, they have to bring you the ball. If they want to walk on the leash, they have to behave.

Freelance Writer, Dance, and Fitness Professional living abroad in Japan.
Feel free to visit my <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="website">website or check out <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Fiverr">Fiverr.

Posted : 15/03/2016 4:37 am
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

The most important thing for first time dog owner is to consider his or her well-being first, then the commitment that you need to devote to your dog. Feeding, grooming, crating, and training should come as naturally as raising a child.

House-breaking was first on my list after setting up a place for my dog in the house. He responded well and fits perfectly with our personalities and lifestyle. When we are active, he is active and we are relaxing, he relaxes. So finding a dog that somewhat matches with the people in a household is quite important too.

Posted : 15/03/2016 4:55 am
joshposh
(@joshposh)
Trusted Member

Most don't think of it when they first take on ownership of a dog. That is easily going to be a 10 to 15 year commitment. Can you handle that responsibility and undertaking for that length of time? Most think, "oh look at the cute puppy". But eventually that cute pup is going to need grooming, health check ups, and of course social interaction for mental health.

I know people that have dogs and use them as door bells. They lock them in little cages where they are never taken out and left to sit in their own feces for days on end. No wonder the dogs are unstable. Can you imagine yourself locked up that way your entire life?

This is a common scene in the Philippines. Dogs sitting in cages at the front of their property. they never go out on walks and are kept in a cage their whole lives. There is no humane society here to protect them.

Posted : 20/03/2016 7:41 pm
TobiWallis
(@tobiwallis)

There's some good advice here and Valerie who has posted above is absolutely right about discipline. Please don't ever lose sight of the fact that your dog is your pet, not a human baby. S/he needs boundaries and training so s/he knows how to behave and when. If you say "No", make sure you mean no. Be kind and firm. Take plenty of exercise together and do consider going to obedience classes. Well done you for asking for advice at the outset!
Dogs are wonderful companions and I hope you and your new dog have a very happy life together.

Posted : 21/03/2016 7:36 am
NikkiR
(@nikkir)

I think the first thing new dog owners need to know is that there is a huge time commitment when you get a dog. A dog will not automatically fit into your current life style. Do you like going out all night partying and then crashing at a friends house? Well you can't do that with a dog because you need to let them out in the evening and in the morning. Do you like taking spur of the moment trips places? That's a lot harder with a dog because you need to make sure there will be someone around to take care of it.

Posted : 22/03/2016 10:58 am
Annemarie
(@annemarie)
Eminent Member

oh! [USER=2]@joshposh[/USER] that picture and what you wrote about dogs in the Philippines breaks my heart. The fact that this is common practice is just awful - because it means that there will be no difference as the generations move forward. "This is how my family has always kept our dog - nothing wrong with it!" I can't imagine doing this to my dog, not for his whole life long. Not even a short time.

Posted : 22/03/2016 11:07 am
HeyBubba
(@heybubba)
Trusted Member

Just to contribute, you really shouldn't expect anything at all of the dog, just observe initially. Get to know them. They have a uniqueness to them, you can sense their thoughts after a while of getting used to them. I know when my dog wants water by his body language/tongue/glance at me, I know when he's hungry because of a little puff he does with his face, and if I ask him questions "you want food?" his ears will perk up for yes or he will just remain neutral if hes uninterested

Posted : 22/03/2016 11:45 am
Mars
 Mars
(@mars)
Eminent Member

I think the most important thing any person should bear in mind when wanting to have a dog is that they should be prepared and ready for the responsibilities. Like us humans, they have needs and they also have their own personalities. Taking care of a dog is just like rearing a child. We should bathe them, feed them, and teach them how to behave well. 😉

Posted : 22/03/2016 10:48 pm
Ladyferoz
(@ladyferoz)
Trusted Member

Everyone has great points.
One thing I can say is that dogs are a lot of hardwork and are expensive. I spend so much money per month that could probably have been used for a long vacation in Bali.
You also have to be patient training your dog, so if you have a short temper, it's not a good idea to get a dog. They will challenge your authority, break some rules and pee on your new carpet they're puppies, so learn to be patient.
I think it is all worth it though, and I love my dog despite all the costs and the mischief he causes. Has anyone watched Marley and me? Yes, that's his personality.

Posted : 22/03/2016 11:28 pm
SirJoe
(@sirjoe)
Eminent Member

I think something is very often over looked when it comes to dogs and that is dogs aren't human. It is so easy to forget that because of the way they interact with us but at the end of the day you should let a dog be a dog.
Dogs are built to run and it doesn't matter how sluggish your dog is, he needs to stretch his legs every once in a while.

Posted : 23/03/2016 1:56 am
Share: