How do some overcome fear of dogs?

10 Posts
9 Users
1 Likes
Henrywrites
(@henrywrites)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

The thing I have come to notice in life is that we have different ways we react to situations around us and that is the same thing we can say of when our dogs are involved. I've seen some persons that doesn't want to do anything with pets even the peaceful dogs and that got me wondering how they live a complete life without having a pet.

While the fear of dogs can make such people even decide not to visit you again, I have a feeling that there are ways they can overcome such fear of which one of them is understanding that dogs are generally peaceful animals. What other ways you think they can achieve this?

Posted : 07/02/2018 3:07 pm
theartisttt
(@theartisttt)

There is actually a treatment for cynophobia and it's an evidence-based therapy. I once had a cynophobia because when I was still a kid, our neighbor's dog growled at me and I was surprised and after that, I got sick. Ever since that day, I avoided dogs because I easily get shocked and surprise. My reason is different from others whose reason to fear dogs is the dog's appearance and how they tend to get wild when they are not familiar with a face but I still think the way I cope up with my fear can still be used by those people who have these reasons. I fall in love with dogs when the same dog from my neighbor saved me from a falling debris. I realized dogs are really man's best friend. Of course, I did not overcome my fear instantly. I took puppy steps and the number one puppy step I took was to change my perspectives about dog. I change my point of view and then everything else followed and ta-daaaa, here I am now, a mother of five loving dogs.

Posted : 07/02/2018 3:36 pm
valvulaeconniventes
(@valvulaeconniventes)
Trusted Member

If someone has a genuine phobia of dogs, then an initial supervised therapy session before acclimatizing at home is the best way to go to overcome a fear of dogs. However, some are just afraid of dogs because they do not have experience around them, so spending time with gentler dogs can help them warm to the animals and eventually love them.

Posted : 07/02/2018 6:29 pm
MomoStarr16
(@momostarr16)
Eminent Member

Simply by letting him or her pat or touch a friendly dog. That way they will make an impression that dogs are friendly and meant to be cuddle and love not to be fear of.

Posted : 09/02/2018 9:18 am
 ion
(@ion)

Give them some puppies. Start with a puppies, not a big dog. Everyone loves puppies. Watch some movies or even just a Disney movies about dogs. And teach them about the importance of dogs.

this

Posted : 09/02/2018 1:39 pm
Dori reacted
(@dogarc18)

I have friends who have the phobia of dogs. Probably because of the idea that dogs "bite". They fear the rubbish they might get when they are bitten. We have cases here about the rubbish that is why there are people who really fear dogs even though not all dogs bite. One case of a person bitten by a dog (regardless of the how it happened) really caused fear to people. But here in our place, we have so many stray dogs and dogs owned by our neighbours which are just loose and they just play around. So, my initial suggestion is that I tell a friend that the dogs he sees are already anti-rubbish free and friendly. And yes, I would definitely agree with ion about giving a friend a puppy to start with. Phobia of dogs really takes time to overcome based on my experience with friends who don't like dogs.

Posted : 09/02/2018 1:56 pm
Dori
 Dori
(@dori)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @ion

Give them some puppies. Start with a puppies, not a big dog. Everyone loves puppies. Watch some movies or even just a Disney movies about dogs. And teach them about the importance of dogs.

You're right about having them start out getting used to puppies. They are harmless and very playful. Once they get used to it and see the puppies grow, they will stop being afraid to dogs. 

Posted : 10/12/2022 2:24 pm
 Jon
(@jon)

It's more easier when you're introduced to dogs when you're still a kid. Kids are very open to animals. It's going to make it easier for them to stop being afraid of dogs. As for adults, reduce your anxiety towards them, you will be fine. 

Posted : 14/07/2023 4:47 am
(@bumble)
Trusted Member

If dogs are not your favorite animal, it is better for you too try as much as you can to avoid them because how you react to them is always going to tell them that you are afraid of them and they are going to react in the same it towards you. So, it is better for you to get along with the pets that you feel more comfortable with and leave dogs out of it. 

Posted : 09/04/2024 10:09 am
Henrywrites
(@henrywrites)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @theartisttt

There is actually a treatment for cynophobia and it's an evidence-based therapy. I once had a cynophobia because when I was still a kid, our neighbor's dog growled at me and I was surprised and after that, I got sick. Ever since that day, I avoided dogs because I easily get shocked and surprise. My reason is different from others whose reason to fear dogs is the dog's appearance and how they tend to get wild when they are not familiar with a face but I still think the way I cope up with my fear can still be used by those people who have these reasons. I fall in love with dogs when the same dog from my neighbor saved me from a falling debris. I realized dogs are really man's best friend. Of course, I did not overcome my fear instantly. I took puppy steps and the number one puppy step I took was to change my perspectives about dog. I change my point of view and then everything else followed and ta-daaaa, here I am now, a mother of five loving dogs.

This story is encouraging for anyone that have a basic understanding of how dogs functions. I mean, forget that they bark a lot, dogs are always lovely animals and will always get comfortable with anyone that they got familiar with. 

Posted : 26/04/2024 9:36 am
Share: