Jack Russells

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
lisasian86
(@lisasian86)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

My Jack Russell George has no idea that he is a small dog. I think he thinks he is a bear or something and has absolutely no fear when it comes to being around much bigger dogs. He has everyone pandering to him because he knows he is the king of the castle, I myself am a little stricter with him so he doesn't think he can get away with everything.

Posted : 30/05/2016 8:44 am
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

My Jack Russell George has no idea that he is a small dog. I think he thinks he is a bear or something and has absolutely no fear when it comes to being around much bigger dogs. He has everyone pandering to him because he knows he is the king of the castle, I myself am a little stricter with him so he doesn't think he can get away with everything.

I read an article saying that no dog, or animal, really knows that it's small. In it's eyes, it's a dog with teeth and claws. I had a friend when growing up had a Pomeranian, I think, who was an alpha. It could bark down a grown Pit Bull and Wolfhound into submission. It is good that you don't pander to him because small dogs have a higher risk of getting a Napoleon Complex. Small dogs have a higher risk of getting a Napoleon complex, or Small Dog Syndrome, because we see them as small and they see themselves as wolves.

Posted : 30/05/2016 7:01 pm
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

I read an article saying that no dog, or animal, really knows that it's small. In it's eyes, it's a dog with teeth and claws. I had a friend when growing up had a Pomeranian, I think, who was an alpha. It could bark down a grown Pit Bull and Wolfhound into submission. It is good that you don't pander to him because small dogs have a higher risk of getting a Napoleon Complex. Small dogs have a higher risk of getting a Napoleon complex, or Small Dog Syndrome, because we see them as small and they see themselves as wolves.

Posted : 30/05/2016 7:02 pm
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

Posted : 30/05/2016 7:03 pm
lisasian86
(@lisasian86)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I think it's important, especially with a dog like George who does think he's a wolf, to be strict and to show him that he is not the leader of the pack. I think it allows the dog to respect you more. My step mum had 4 dogs at one point, a German Shepard, a Whippet, a Collie and a Jack Russell. The Jack Russell used to kick the German Shepard out of it's bed and claim the biggest bed, it always thought it was the boss, however one day the four dogs were all trying to get through a doorway at once and the Jack Russell was trying to throw his weight around, it resulted in the Whippet very quickly biting the Jack around the throat and ended up needing a tracheostomy.

Posted : 31/05/2016 5:28 am
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

Jack Russell was my family's dream dog for a long time because we fell in love with Wishbone TV series back then. Later on, we found out that terrier type of dog is not going to be a good fit for our family, but I think they are the perfect size for me still. Temperament-wise, I am not sure if I can handle the hyper part!

Posted : 07/08/2016 5:08 am
MUTTLIFE
(@muttlife)
Eminent Member

Heh, yeah, give him half a chance, he'll pursue his delights over fences and through the streets.
His wilful nature can make him pretty tricky to train. At least a jack russells is Friendly toward people, but certainly he can be aggressive toward other dogs and any other animal that resembles prey, including cats. His fearless nature puts him at risk when he decides to take on a bigger dog.

Posted : 07/08/2016 10:26 am
Share: