Clear all

Indoor pond

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Canis
(@canis)
Topic starter

I have two large dogs and decided to set up a 100 gallon indoor pond. That is basically like a raised planter but with water and goldfish in it. I was kind of worried I would not be able to keep the dogs out of it. But after 6 months so far they have stayed out of it and not bothered the fish.

The only possible issue is that they do prefer to drink that water over their water bowl. But there seem to be no ill effects and nothing in there should be dangerous to them. I have two comets and two shunbunkin goldfish.

Does anyone else have dogs and fish?

Posted : 13/03/2016 11:55 am
Annemarie
(@annemarie)
Eminent Member

I would love to know more about your indoor pond! It sounds fantastic. I don't have any fish - just a dog. But I would love to know what it's like to have a pond in your home! It sounds so pretty. Do you have many friends over who just love looking into your pond? I would visit you all the time to look!

Posted : 14/03/2016 7:14 pm
aquaticneko
(@aquaticneko)
Eminent Member

There is an outdoor pond behind my parents house with some koi fish in them. They've gotten rather big but they really make the scenery. The dogs tend to ignore the fish even when they drink from the pond and the fish come up to investigate. At first it put us on edge hoping the dogs don't attack the fish, but we quickly realised the dogs are more curious than anything else. They try to touch them but usually leave them be when they get bored.

Posted : 15/03/2016 4:10 am
Annemarie
(@annemarie)
Eminent Member

That sounds fantastic, [USER=46]@aquaticneko[/USER] ! I love the idea of this. Hopefully one day I'll have space big enough to try something like this - you've definitely given me a good idea! Although if I ever got more space I should probably start off with a regular ole fishtank first before graduating to something like your wonderful indoor pond 🙂

Posted : 15/03/2016 9:33 am
aquaticneko
(@aquaticneko)
Eminent Member

That sounds fantastic, [USER=46]@aquaticneko[/USER] ! I love the idea of this. Hopefully one day I'll have space big enough to try something like this - you've definitely given me a good idea! Although if I ever got more space I should probably start off with a regular ole fishtank first before graduating to something like your wonderful indoor pond 🙂

Glad I could be an inspiration. I've used that spot for many a times I needed to unwind and simple let it all go. So many days after school I simply sat and watched our fishes swim around carefree! It's a great idea if anything for a centerpiece and great scenery

Posted : 20/03/2016 2:32 pm
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

That sounds so nice to have an indoor pond with fishes. I love seeing water as it relaxes me. Do you set up a water pump in there too?

I only have one dog and he is quite fun to have around. He is also a great watch dog and very loving toward people he knows. He loves to please people!

Posted : 20/03/2016 3:07 pm
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

I've had dogs, cats, and fish together. You have to be careful with what you put in the water to keep your fish healthy because it can make your dogs sick. Otherwise, dogs and fish are completely compatible unless it's a beta.
I had a beta and a lab. My lab was a sweetheart and would just watch the tank when she was bored. My beta, King, wasn't having it. Every time my lab came close to the glass, King would puff up his fins and get aggressive. If she was to close, he would hit the glass in an attack. So other than aggressive fish and the chemicals in the water, dogs and fish are compatible.

Posted : 20/03/2016 4:32 pm
NikkiR
(@nikkir)

I have Dogs and Fish. My aquariums are covered unless I'm doing maintenance, but when they are uncovered My dogs love to drink from them. This has had no ill effects on the dogs or the fish. Personally I think fish are a great way to make a space relaxed. The sound of the running water adds a bit of background noise to block out the sound of neighbors. Watching the Fish swim in circles and interact with each other helps to clear the mind of daily stress. They expect nothing from you.

Posted : 21/03/2016 4:03 pm
Lisa Davis
(@lisa-davis)
Eminent Member

I know people that have indoor ponds. Most of the time the dogs will attempt to take a drink now and again, but for the most part, they have been trained to stay away or are just not that interested to begin with. I have heard different stories about cats and indoor ponds and aquariums though.

Posted : 07/08/2016 4:38 pm
PetLover
(@petlover)

I personally have only a couple of dogs(just got the second one). I love indoor aquariums but I am afraid that the dogs would just break it in their quest to get the fish, hence am delaying my decision.

However, from your experience I am gaining more confidence that they can survive in a parallel way.

Also, I am thinking about a larger full fledged aquarium consisting of many types of fish rather then just the gold fish. I guess I would have to start small and see how the dogs take it.

Posted : 08/08/2016 1:05 am
Dori
 Dori
(@dori)
Eminent Member

I don't have any indoors fish ponds at the moment but it's something that I would love to have. I have seen some houses with nice aquarium and rare fishes. Whenever I'm getting my own house pond, it's going to be just like that. 

Posted : 14/12/2022 8:13 am
Share: