Making Your Own Dog Food

21 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

My dog has a sensitive stomach so when he doesn't feel good, I make him his own chicken rice soup, with slices of ginger pieces.

Once, he caught a stomach flu and vomitted. I got worry that he would be dehydrated since he didn't even drink his water. Thus, I made a big pot of chicken soup with ginger pieces and took the broth for him to drink. The rest of the chicken was chopped and mixed with rice for his food.

Needless to say, he loves it and he was soon back to his ownself in just a day. He got all the nutrients he needs from this. Now, when he sees the pot he thought it is his food.

Do you make your own dog food?

Posted : 13/03/2016 4:13 am
caribbeangirl
(@caribbeangirl)
Eminent Member

Years ago, when we used to keep dogs, we would feed the dogs whatever was left over from our food, bones and all. We never went out of our way to make food especially for the dogs. Also, we never bought dog food from the grocery store like dog chow, either. People who buy dog food may be those who can afford to do so. However, we always gave our dogs whatever was left after we were finished eating. I have also heard of people who like giving their dogs special treats like chocolate, for instance. Practicing something like that would cause the dog to crave these things every time, so we have never done this either.

Posted : 13/03/2016 5:57 am
rz3300
(@rz3300)
Eminent Member

I don't but I do think that it is a creative and interesting way to save some money perhaps, or like you really care for your buddy and tend to their needs. I have always just gotten the generic dog food and really had no problems and so I do not see myself changing that in any way, but I am interested into people who do make their own and what types of things they are putting in there. I am sure if you do your research you can really make a power packed meal for your little guy.

Posted : 13/03/2016 8:29 am
Canis
(@canis)

If you do feed them a 100% home made food it is a good idea to add supplements. There are some trace elements important to dogs that are missing from most human foods. Eve recipes designed by experts often prove deficient: https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/homemade-dog-food-recipes-can-be-risky-business-study-finds

A simple solution is to get some supplement powder to add to your food. Wizpet makes a fairly cheap one and you can get it at Amazon. Or Dog Greens. Because oddly what we often forget to add is vitamins from plants. Dogs are evolved to eat the entire animal (including the gut) and plant material and the food we given them often lacks green plants, cartilage etc.

Posted : 13/03/2016 12:29 pm
Valerie
(@valerie)
Trusted Member

When I was dog sitting a little bit this past year, I had a dog whose digestive system was a complete mess. The owners had been swapping the food left and right, trying to find something decent nutritionally but good for their pockets. I made the dog cooked hamburger and turkey, mixed in some peas, carrots, and broccoli or a potato here and there. He loved it. My grandparents used to do the same thing. Instead of buying wet dog food, they would boil chickens and roast vegetables to slice up for their dogs. Of course, I don't know if this was always the most healthy way, because the veterinarians kept prescribing supplements for the pets...

Freelance Writer, Dance, and Fitness Professional living abroad in Japan.
Feel free to visit my <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="website">website or check out <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Fiverr">Fiverr.

Posted : 13/03/2016 1:21 pm
Annemarie
(@annemarie)
Eminent Member

When I was dog sitting a little bit this past year, I had a dog whose digestive system was a complete mess. The owners had been swapping the food left and right, trying to find something decent nutritionally but good for their pockets. I made the dog cooked hamburger and turkey, mixed in some peas, carrots, and broccoli or a potato here and there. He loved it. My grandparents used to do the same thing. Instead of buying wet dog food, they would boil chickens and roast vegetables to slice up for their dogs. Of course, I don't know if this was always the most healthy way, because the veterinarians kept prescribing supplements for the pets...

I think when you're dealing with a dog who is not easy to feed the conventional way, you've got to try everything you can. Coming up with something like you did ... that is also pleasing to the dog ... that sounds like it fits the bill perfectly. And I also agree -- if there aren't enough supplements, get the powdered supplements that can be mixed in. The vet will help maintain the dog's health. I think it's a perfect solution.

Posted : 13/03/2016 1:56 pm
morgoodie
(@morgoodie)
Eminent Member

I do not make my own dog food and never really thought about it before until I saw something on Pintrest about it. I was curious because they were saying that you could save money over buying store bought dog food. I am curious to know if this really is a way to save money. I did not read to much about it in the article as I figured this would not be something that I would do. It seems like it would take up a lot of time and energy to do this. Plus, storing the excess would pose a problem for me since my refrigerator is usually full. It does sound healthy for the dog though.

Posted : 13/03/2016 4:55 pm
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Years ago, when we used to keep dogs, we would feed the dogs whatever was left over from our food, bones and all. We never went out of our way to make food especially for the dogs. Also, we never bought dog food from the grocery store like dog chow, either. People who buy dog food may be those who can afford to do so. However, we always gave our dogs whatever was left after we were finished eating. I have also heard of people who like giving their dogs special treats like chocolate, for instance. Practicing something like that would cause the dog to crave these things every time, so we have never done this either.

I think feeding dog table food scrap is something we don't do here in the US. Dogs have their own food, and cats have their own food. It is a normal thing here when you have pets.

Giving CHOCOLATE? That is a NO NO! Chocolate will make your dog sick, and can kill your dogs! Everybody knows that, and I haven't heard of anyone giving their dogs chocolate.

Posted : 14/03/2016 2:29 am
joshposh
(@joshposh)
Trusted Member

I don't make my own dog food. Nor are you suppose to give your dog table scraps or chocolate. Your dog is not suppose to eat salt and sugar. Once they get a taste of it, they get spoiled. Chicken soup has salt. Chocolate has sugar. Your dog is not a human being and is not suppose to eat human food. That is one of the reasons why dogs misbehave as they think they are humans.

Posted : 14/03/2016 4:10 am
(@xtinx)
Eminent Member

We feed our dogs dog food only during snack time (afternoon right before dinner), but most of the time we try to give them varied meals. Sometimes just pure fried fish or sardines with a bit of rice. Sometimes, they're fed meat with rice and then my dad adds a bit of seasoning for better flavor. They're okay with their meals for the most part. To actually make our own dog food (meaning turn available food to kibbles), however, is another story.

Posted : 14/03/2016 5:42 am
aquaticneko
(@aquaticneko)
Eminent Member

Like you said, I think feeding dogs table scraps must be a caribbean thing. We had farm dogs, they get whatever we have left and the occasional time my mom had time to cook them something it would simply be cheap cuts of bone and fat boiled into whatever she could afford. The dogs never took sick. However, there is no reason for us to have CHOCOLATE in our table scraps. In my opinion if you feed an animal a certain way they crave it. Just like if you fed cats your food at the table they crave that and beg for it.

I do think the table scraps is better than buying the commercial food. If you knew what was in that you wouldnt give it to ANY animal to eat.

Posted : 21/03/2016 3:41 am
Ianvel
(@ianvel)

It is extremely crucial that we give priority on our pets eating and what we give it. As every issue comes through the eating and all that, so that needs to be watched. I don’t have too much experience with handling pets, therefore, I take experts guide which has made me think about Pet Supplements that has really helped massively. I am grateful to http://www.blackburndistributions.com/blog/pet-supplements/ , as this guide has really helped me Dog staying healthy!

Posted : 20/08/2017 5:42 am
(@lisadolor)

Yes I make my buddies their own dog food. Sometimes I would make some soup for them and fry chicken or meat. I also make them drink milk so that they'll grow healthy with beautiful fur. All of my dogs ate the foods I serve them.

Posted : 07/02/2018 2:28 pm
Henrywrites
(@henrywrites)
Eminent Member

For me, it is all about understanding your dog and the need to ensure that she look healthy from time to time. I'm that lazy to make my dog food, but have a contract with a restaurant around my home on the need to always supply my dog with a good meal garnished with chicken bones every day of the week. It is not easy paying for the bills, but I love my dog and want the best for her.

Posted : 07/02/2018 2:54 pm
ivukadinovic
(@ivukadinovic)
Eminent Member

Do you make your own dog food?

Yes, definitely! My dog is sensitive too. he sometimes refuses to eat granulated foods so I go to my local butcher and ask for pork intestines then boil them with some carrots and corn. He eats it like crazy.

Posted : 09/02/2018 10:11 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: