non-shedding and/or hypoallergenic dogs

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
DogDave
(@dogdave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I found out the hard way that just because a dog is non-shedding, it doesn't make him hypo-allergenic.

The non-shedding breeds I know of are the Maltese, Bichon Friese, and ... I know there are others, maybe poodles?

Are there any large breed of dogs that are considered non-shedding?

Posted : 18/05/2016 11:06 am
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

Here is a useful list. http://www.homesalive.ca/blog/dogs-that-dont-shed-23-hypoallergenic-dog-breeds/
Some of the list are Tibetan Terrier, Maltese Terrier, Shih Tzu, Brussels Griffon, Portuguese Water dog, Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, all Poodle, West Highland White Terrier, Bichon Frise, Kerry Blue Terrier, Havanese, Chinese Crested, Scottish Terrier, Irish Water Spaniel, Cairn Terrier, Labradoodle, Border Terrier, miniature or standard Schnauzer, Yorkshire Terrier, Australian Silky Terrier, Bouvier des Flandres, and Basenji. The Larbradoodle looks like a Labrador Retriever stuck in puppy form forever, super cute. I never realized how cute Havanese dogs are. They are like fluffy stuffed animal but it's actually a dog.

http://www.akc.org/about/faq-allergies/

Ads to this list with, Afghan Hound, Coton De Tulear, Giant Schnauzer, Lagotto Romagnolo, Peruvian Inca Orchid (hairless), Spanish Water dog, all Xoloitzcuintli. I hope this helps people who have allergies or asthma but loves dogs.

Posted : 18/05/2016 12:41 pm
(@filmjunkie08)
Eminent Member

One of the reasons I got a Bichon Frise was because it was listed as a non-shedding hypoallergenic breed. What I have discovered is that non-shedding really means that it sheds much less than the average dog. Unfortunately, my animal still sheds some.

Posted : 30/05/2016 8:14 pm
beautifullybree
(@beautifullybree)
Eminent Member

Miniature Schnauzer's are non-shedding, hypoallergenic dogs. I've had mine for 10 years. I've never seen her lose a single hair. I don't have dog allergies myself, but no one has ever complained.

Posted : 30/05/2016 8:59 pm
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

If I have to start all over again, I would go for the non-shedding type of dog since no one in my family is allergic to dog. Cats, yes, but not dogs!

My dog is a mix of bull dog and pit bull, and oh my, he shed so much all year round. I later found out, that he is in the terrier family and terrier is known for shedding.

Posted : 31/05/2016 2:58 am
Share: