Keeping dogs tied

29 Posts
28 Users
0 Reactions
caribbeangirl
(@caribbeangirl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Where I live, keeping dogs tied is a common practice. Many people would keep their dogs tied during the daytime and loose them at night. Do you think it is a good thing to keep a dog tied up all day, not having the freedom to move around as they please?

I think the main reason why people do this is to give their friends and family the freedom to visit them without having to worry about interference from a dog. There are some people who have a natural fear of dogs. Also, postal workers, inspectors, and other officials who need to come on one's premises from time to time, would prefer to do so without having to worry about being confronted by a dog. As long as the dog is tied, these people would feel a lot safer carrying out their duties.

For those of you who keep your dog/s outside, do you keep them tied during the daytime?

Posted : 13/03/2016 4:45 pm
LovesBigFoll
(@lovesbigfoll)

Where I live, keeping dogs tied is a common practice. Many people would keep their dogs tied during the daytime and loose them at night. Do you think it is a good thing to keep a dog tied up all day, not having the freedom to move around as they please?

I think the main reason why people do this is to give their friends and family the freedom to visit them without having to worry about interference from a dog. There are some people who have a natural fear of dogs. Also, postal workers, inspectors, and other officials who need to come on one's premises from time to time, would prefer to do so without having to worry about being confronted by a dog. As long as the dog is tied, these people would feel a lot safer carrying out their duties.

For those of you who keep your dog/s outside, do you keep them tied during the daytime?

I have never kept a dog tied but felt lead to make a comment about another situation where tying them is appropriate.

First of all, all five of our dogs live inside the house and we have a large fenced-in back yard for them to use. We also have eighteen miniature horses in five separate areas in the back acreage. We only have two neighbors that share a property line with us. One of them has two dogs. Since we have herd animals that are also considered prey animals (those that are eaten, sorry) dogs are a natural nemesis. In theory, a dog coming onto our property could cause a horse to get hurt. Some of the herd will stampede. others will not which can cause the risk of twisted legs which could be fatal. (In reality, the horses try to hurt the dogs.)

So once in a while. I have to go explain this to my neighbors and remind them that we will hold them liable if anything were to happen.

So having dogs outside near to herd animals makes it illegal to not have the dog tied up. Sorry about that, but fencing is expensive enough without having to make miles of fence dog-proof.

Posted : 13/03/2016 5:00 pm
HeyBubba
(@heybubba)
Trusted Member

Yeah, I'm against dog tying, but I'm completely for protecting people from territorial pets, regardless of whether or not it's a dog. It's one thing to be cruel, it's another thing to put other people or creatures at risk recklessly. It's just silly. Ideally though, the dog should be domesticated enough to respond to commands and operate respectfully around others.

Posted : 13/03/2016 9:31 pm
Ladyferoz
(@ladyferoz)
Trusted Member

Dogs are not meant to be tied up. I find it cruel and there are so many other ways to teach your dog to interact with others. If a dog is tied up there is no way for it to get adequate exercise and interaction with people. Tying a dog outside is also creating the opposite of what you want to happen, because they are so understimulated, they develop overexcitement when confronted with other stimulus like your friends coming over and start barking like crazy.

Posted : 14/03/2016 1:31 am
Corzhens
(@corzhens)
Estimable Member

In our neighborhood, it is common to see dogs tied by the gate. Obviously, the purpose of those dogs are for guarding the house. But it is a pitiful sight for the dogs are being punished with that. Dogs love to be with people and being tied and left alone outside the house is pathetic especially during summer when the heat is unbearable.

We have 3 dogs and 1 is in a cage. Pipoy, the pug, is hyperactive such that he never stops moving when released. The problem is he would be gasping for breath after sometime due to undue fatigue. The vet had recommended him to be caged to avoid that situation for he might collapse and suffer cardiac arrest. Now he is 3 years old and is used to being in a cage although he is released 3 to 4 times in day only with supervision.

Posted : 14/03/2016 1:46 am
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

I don't like seeing dogs tied up, and specially for a long period of time. My yard is fenced in so my dog is free to roam there. He prefers to be with people though so if we are not outside, he won't be outside by himself for long.

Why do you let the dogs run free at night and not day, [USER=3]@caribbeangirl[/USER] ? Just wondering!

Posted : 14/03/2016 2:49 am
Theboysmom04
(@theboysmom04)
Eminent Member

We have a large fenced in area for him to roam about while he is outside. I hate seeing them tied out unless it's for them to go to the bathroom. Our outdoor dogs always had a large dog kennel so they could exercise when we weren't playing with them. I do understand the night time free roaming. When we lived on the farm we also allowed them to roam at night. Mostly to protect from intruders. Plus there aren't as many visitors at night.

Posted : 14/03/2016 11:18 am
puli93
(@puli93)
Eminent Member

When I was a child we had a big garden and two dogs.

They were kept in a bigger kennel, like a small yard. At night they could roam free in the garden, but I think that kennel is the perfect solution when you don't want to tie them up but still need some regulations in the garden, or around children etc.

Posted : 15/03/2016 2:31 am
aquaticneko
(@aquaticneko)
Eminent Member

I know a neighbour that keeps his dog tied all the time. It has room but barely, just enough to get around the kennel and to its water bowl. I think a dog should be free. We had a dog house for our dogs, although they nearly always slept outside in the grass. So much that it wore a brown path where they all slept near one another. At times, when its windy, they will head inside and use the beds we gave them. They are free roaming on our land though. I think dogs and animals should be allowed to roam, within reason ofcourse.

Posted : 15/03/2016 3:28 am
morgoodie
(@morgoodie)
Eminent Member

My dogs live in the house, so I do not tie them up. When they are outside, they are on leashes since we have leash laws that do not allow dogs to be outside without a leash if they are not in a fenced in area. We take them out to get exercise everyday. I do not like to see dogs that are tied up all the time. It is like they are prisoners.

Posted : 15/03/2016 8:01 am
caribbeangirl
(@caribbeangirl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Why do you let the dogs run free at night and not day, [USER=3]@caribbeangirl[/USER] ? Just wondering!

I myself do not own a dog at the moment, but in my country it is the norm to keep dogs tied during the day, and loosed at night for the purpose of guarding the house and keeping out would-be intruders while the owners are asleep. Another time when the dog would be loose, is when the occupants of the house are not at home. The dog is best able to keep out intruders if it has free reign to move around.

Posted : 15/03/2016 10:55 am
DrizzleB
(@drizzleb)
Eminent Member

I've had 2 dogs when I was little. Didn't really know how to train them or anything like that. Yep, I was spoiled. Now, I feel bad for my dogs, Mila and Diamond. Had them tied up almost year round. I think it's better to crate train them instead. But if that's not an option for whatever reason than tie them up, but don't forget to bring them in during destructible storms and conditions. They are live and breathe just like us.

If God were to create something heavier than he could lift, wouldn't he not be a God? Paradoxes. 😀

Posted : 15/03/2016 11:04 am
Loopulk
(@loopulk)

We only tie up our dogs when we let them out when it's all groggy outside. Like right now, it's muddy outside so when we let them out to go to the bathroom, we have to leash them up so they don't play in the mud and get super dirty.

Posted : 15/03/2016 12:54 pm
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

I don't think people should have dogs if they have to tie them up all day. I understand people who move from a big house with a backyard and want to keep their dog but that's not a healthy long term way to keep a dog. Sitting in the same place will cause the dog to develop mental issues and aggressive.

Posted : 20/03/2016 4:16 pm
fcuco
(@fcuco)
Eminent Member

I find the notion of a tied dog to be horrific, I am very proud to say that I had never tied my dogs, well, only when we are giving them a bath but that's usually not necessary as they lay there relaxed.

If you have to contain your dogs for a brief period, like when somebody is working on your garden, the best thing you can do is invest into some fences so create a space where you can put them.

That being said, I never walk my dogs without a leash.

Posted : 20/03/2016 5:28 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: