Sharing A Bed With Your Dog?

55 Posts
51 Users
0 Reactions
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

When my dog was a puppy, he learned to spend the night in his kennel for the purpose of house breaking. Once this was accomplished, he started to spend time with my son on the bed and when my son isn't home, I just allow him to choose where he wants to sleep. He often opted for the couch in the living room.

Do you share your bed with your dog?

Posted : 12/03/2016 5:17 am
HeyBubba
(@heybubba)
Trusted Member

I do, yes 🙂 I have a thick extra blanket in the upper corner of the bed that's laid out as his bed, I leave my door open and he knows to nap on that spot of the bed whenever he wants. He also sleeps on the upper parts of the couches and on any fresh laundry we forget about -_-

Posted : 12/03/2016 8:52 am
Annemarie
(@annemarie)
Eminent Member

I don't do it now, but a while back I had a dog who I didn't sleep with at first. Then I went through a very traumatic breakup with my boyfriend and I would cry and cry day after day. My dog would often come find me (in the bed) crying and snuggle in next to me. Since I would often just fall asleep crying and cuddling with my sweet dog, it became something we both got used to.

Posted : 12/03/2016 11:29 am
morgoodie
(@morgoodie)
Eminent Member

Yes, I do. I find it hard to sleep unless he is curled up with me in bed. Now that I have two dogs, my other one sleeps at the end of the bed or up against my back. It is comforting to have them there with me and I get a great night's sleep. Although I am not sure how much longer that is going to happen since she is getting bigger and is not done growing yet. But, we shall see.

Posted : 12/03/2016 2:29 pm
caribbeangirl
(@caribbeangirl)
Eminent Member

In my family, a dog's place was always outside of the house, so the idea of having a dog sleep in a bed in the house is kind of foreign to us. I wonder if it is a healthy thing to do. Our dogs would always sleep in their kennel outside, so they would still be protected from the elements, like rain, for instance. What about when nature calls, where would the dog go since the house would be all locked up and everything? Well I suppose that those who keep their dogs in the house at night would make provision for that. However, we have had cats who would sleep anywhere. They would either curl up on the couch in the drawing room and sleep, or they would lay at the bottom of the bed and sleep. So I am more used to a cat doing that than a dog.

Posted : 12/03/2016 4:50 pm
Theboysmom04
(@theboysmom04)
Eminent Member

My middle son has asthma. I do not allow pets in bed or on furniture for that reason. My dog has a very comfortable bed of his own and with his short little legs it's hard for him to jump up in bed anyway.

Posted : 12/03/2016 5:08 pm
Loopulk
(@loopulk)

In my family, a dog's place was always outside of the house, so the idea of having a dog sleep in a bed in the house is kind of foreign to us. I wonder if it is a healthy thing to do. Our dogs would always sleep in their kennel outside, so they would still be protected from the elements, like rain, for instance. What about when nature calls, where would the dog go since the house would be all locked up and everything? Well I suppose that those who keep their dogs in the house at night would make provision for that. However, we have had cats who would sleep anywhere. They would either curl up on the couch in the drawing room and sleep, or they would lay at the bottom of the bed and sleep. So I am more used to a cat doing that than a dog.

I don't know about other dog owners, but with my family, the dogs wake us up when they need to go outside. We just have to get up and then let them out and wait for them to come back in. After that, it's back to bed.

When we got our first dog, Daisy (bichon frise), we made her sleep in a kennel at first. After that, she has slept in my parents' bed ever since, though she switches beds from time to time. Now when we got out second dog, Lily (also a bichon), she slept in beds immediately. We got her from another owner, though, and not from a breeder, so Lily was a year when we first got her but Daisy was only eight weeks old.

Posted : 12/03/2016 8:54 pm
rz3300
(@rz3300)
Eminent Member

Well I have had this discussion with many people many different times and I feel like I have never really came across any sort of answer. I have always thought it was al little weird and I might be confused if it was something that happened every night, but my dogs do come into my bed for a little bit sometimes but only for a little bit. They are too wild for me to let them stay there. I guess if my circumstances were a bit different though it might be a different story.

Posted : 12/03/2016 11:18 pm
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

My dog is trained NOT to go out at night when nature calls! He can hold until the morning when we let him out. He hasn't soiled the house since we brought him home almost two years ago. I left my bedroom door opens but he rather sleeps on the couch but with my sons, he sleeps with them throughout the night.

[USER=24]@rz3300[/USER] I suppose it is depending on the dog owner if it is something he/she is comfortable doing or not. In my household, when my sons go to bed, he will choose one of them and goes with them to sleep. It is an occurrence nightly and it works out for us. If one of the boys is sick though, I prefer Capone sleeps in his kennel and vice versa.

Posted : 13/03/2016 3:46 am
Loopulk
(@loopulk)

@IceFirefly How big is your dog? My two dogs are small, so we pretty much have to let them out at night. Maybe this is a dog size thing. I remember when we first got Daisy, we had to let her out several times per night since she was so small.

Posted : 13/03/2016 6:45 am
(@theodore-rainford)

I am not comfortable with a dog sleeping in my bed. It's okay for him to be in and around the house is. However, there is the doghouse outside which provides adequate protection from the weather, so that's where he will have to sleep.

Posted : 13/03/2016 8:58 am
Ladyferoz
(@ladyferoz)
Trusted Member

I am a neat freak, and like my bed neat with no extra fur anywhere else is game for my baby. He is not allowed on furniture because I was raised that way. I restrict them from the bedroom for various reasons like. Everyone has their preferences, though, so nothing wrong with it.

Posted : 13/03/2016 9:59 am
joshposh
(@joshposh)
Trusted Member

My dog is not allowed on my bed. Years ago I use to catch him on the bed sleeping and I quickly corrected him. Now he knows better and he doesn't do it anymore. The only time he jumps on my bed is when lighting strikes and he is deathly afraid of it. He jumps in bed with me because he is afraid.

Posted : 13/03/2016 11:43 am
(@diane)

Am thinking, if I happen to sleep with my dog, I might end up squashing him and I am not ready for claw-and-bite marks on my face and body. I tend to be a 'free-style artist' when sleeping and that will cause problems for my pet, plus who is going to remove the fur from the bed afterwards?

Posted : 13/03/2016 12:32 pm
Valerie
(@valerie)
Trusted Member

Of all the dogs I've had and encountered, I can't say I've ever had one that wanted to sleep in the bed with me. Probably because I move around a lot when I sleep. I think its a great thing, though, if you and your pet(s) are comfortable snoozing together.
My grandparents used to allow their chihuahuas up by the pillows at night so the dogs could immediately let them know when they had to go outside. Small dogs, small bladder. I remember them grumbling in the morning about how they shouldn't have let the dogs drink water before bedtime.

Freelance Writer, Dance, and Fitness Professional living abroad in Japan.
Feel free to visit my <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="website">website or check out <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Fiverr">Fiverr.

Posted : 13/03/2016 1:08 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: