Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Dogs Forum
Dogs ForumDogs Forum

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Where's your favorite socialization place?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jezeray
(@jezeray)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

When we got our dog, he was a 2-year-old rescue and very poorly socialized. He was really super scared in new places and of new people. We spent a lot of time going to new places and having strangers give him treats. Parks, beaches, rest stops on the highway, pet stores - We spent a lot of time in all of them until they were less scary. Re-socializing a dog that wasn't socialized properly as a puppy in the critical period is more difficult and we still have to work at it.

Just today, we sat at a bench in front of a grocery store while my partner shopped. Well, I sat on the bench, he laid under it unless someone wanted to pet him, then I brought him out for them to give him treats. He's so much better than he was before and just a little nervous at first instead of terrified. He relaxes much more quickly too.

Do you have favorite places to go for socialization or favorite places to take your dog?

Posted : 17/05/2016 3:20 pm
sillylucy
(@sillylucy)
Eminent Member

We take our dog to the local off leash park, but we didn't take him there right away. We wanted to make sure that he would be nice and friendly to other dogs so when we would take him for our morning walks around a local elementary school we would let him say hello to the other dogs walking around.

Posted : 17/05/2016 4:18 pm
(@sharath-s)

Taking him to a walk to the nearby Park will make sure that he gets a lot of exercises and meet new people and other fellow Animals. By exercising you will also gain a lot of its trust and it will be open to meet new people. After a few days, your Dog should be good around Kids and people. It is always important to teach your Dog to never bite even Strangers to keep its rage under control. Good Luck.

Posted : 18/05/2016 5:19 am
Share: