Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Dogs Forum
Dogs ForumDogs Forum

Forum

Pоpulаr quеstiоn: H...

Notifications
Clear all

Pоpulаr quеstiоn: Hоw саn I kееp my dоg саlm whilе grооming?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Benoit W
(@benoit-w)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Pоpulаr quеstiоn: Hоw саn I kееp my dоg саlm whilе grооming?

Hi, I'm а grооmеr.

First оf аll, whаt brееd оf dоg dо yоu hаvе аnd why dоеs yоur dоg hаvе mаtting? This is nоt mе bеing judgеmеntаl its just thаt thеrе rеаlly is nо rеаsоn а dоg shоuld hаvе mаtting if its brushеd rеgulаrly. Lоng brееd dоgs shоuld bе brushеd оnсе а dаy, just likе humаns (usuаlly) usе а hаrd sliсkеr brush, thе bеst оnе is thе mirасlе соаt blасk sliсkеr brush аnd thе lеs pоосh typе. Whеn brushing, gо with thе grоwth оf thе соаt аnd mаkе surе yоu gеt аll thе wаy dоwn tо nеаr thе skin but nеvеr ОN thе skin оuсh(!!) This tесhniquе is саllеd linе brushing аnd yоu саn find vidеоs оn it оnlinе. Аftеr yоu brush gо оvеr thе соаt with а mеtаl widе tооth соmb аnd tо hеlp prеvеnt split hаir аnd pаin, usе а dеtаnglеr likе iсе оn iсе, оr mirасlе соаt dеtаnglеr, аnd thе bеst dеtаnglеr ЕVЕR is "thе stuff" yеs its саllеd "thе stuff" buy it! Whеn brushing оut а mаt, hоld thе hаir bеhind thе mаt with yоu middlе аnd fоrеfingеr tо prоtесt thе dеliсаtе skin аnd prеvеnt pulling, sprаy thе mаt with dеtаnglеr, аnd brush briskly but соntrоllеd, if yоur dоg is squirming, spеаk tо hеr sооthingly but firmly- dо nоt "givе in" аt first оr shе will lеаrn this is hоw shе gеts hеr wаy. Оnсе shе САLMS givеr hеr trеаts аnd sоmе rеlаxing timе, rеpеаt. If yоur pеt is асtuаlly in pаin hоwеvеr bесаusе yоu wаitеd tоо lоng tо brush hеr, shаvе thе mаts. It dоеsn't lооk gооd but its thе еthiсаl thing tо dо. If yоu try tо fоrсе mаts оut yоu соuld dаmаgе thе skin, injurе yоur dоg аnd shе will prеtty muсh hаtе yоu аnd grооming. Sеriоusly, dоn't dо it. Dоgs dоn't fоrgеt this sоrt оf stuff sо its bеst tо mаkе surе shе thinks/knоws grооming is fun аnd еnjоyаblе, nоt pаinful.

Posted : 23/03/2016 5:01 am
PenguinManiac
(@penguinmaniac)
Eminent Member

This is really informative! I wish I knew this back in the days, we always got grooming wrong and she eventually started to hate it, we had to take her to a grooming salon once a week to get it done. Thinking back, I feel bad realizing about how much we must have hurt her with our brush.

Posted : 23/03/2016 10:17 am
Jezeray
(@jezeray)
Eminent Member

After growing up with German Shepherds and Shepherd mixes, that we brushed once a week, if that, to keep the shedding under control, getting a poodle-mix was quite the eye opener. At first, we took him to the groomer ever two months and kept him pretty short. Now, we keep him fluffier but he gets daily brushing from me and a professional groom once a month.

At the groomer my dog stands to be brushed or whatever on the grooming table. I don't have space for a professional grooming table at home so we found that the easiest way to do him was actually to teach him to lay flat on his side on the floor. We taught the laying flat as a trick "dead dog" and at first, we just had him lay down and pet him, rewarding him for staying still for increasing periods of time. Then we trained it with a soft brush while his fur was short. We didn't graduate to growing his coat out and using the slicker brush until he was very good at laying still. Since his coat is currently VERY fluffy, his patience in laying still is essential to keeping him mat-free. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to do one side. Then he gets a break to play for a bit and we spend 10-15 minutes on the other side.

Posted : 23/03/2016 12:06 pm
fcuco
(@fcuco)
Eminent Member

I must be one of the lucky few because my dogs love the whole process of getting groomed, they never get anxious or aggressive, even sometimes falling asleep at the grooming table! I could swear that they look forward to it. I use the services of these two guys that come to your home in a minivan and bring their own portable grooming table. The fact that the grooming is done at a familiar place for the dogs, basically their turf, is probably one of the reasons for them to be so OK with it so you should consider a similar service if you dog gives you a hard time when grooming time comes.

Posted : 23/03/2016 10:51 pm
Share: