How often do you groom your dogs?

21 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
lexinonomous
(@lexinonomous)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I own three large dogs that are somewhat of a handful. My German Shepard sheds in huge amounts during the summer, so I have to groom her at least once a week with her shedding brush. My other dogs shed, but it's not nearly as bad. All of my dogs are outside dogs and come in the house from time to time. In order for them to come in, they absolutely need to be groomed because they love to play in the dirt.

I was wondering if anyone else has to groom their dogs frequently. How often do you groom your dogs? Do you groom your dogs yourself or take them to be groomed?

Posted : 16/05/2016 8:24 pm
Corzhens
(@corzhens)
Estimable Member

I bathe my dogs every weekend, often on Saturdays. Not just a shampoo but I also use anti-tick soap on them. And after drying with a towel, I place the dog in front of the electric fan for complete drying while I brush the coat and also cleaning the ears and the paws. When totally dried, I apply talcum powder for the sweet smell.

I spend the whole morning in grooming my 3 dogs. Starting the chore at 9am, I usually finish by 12 noon.

Posted : 16/05/2016 8:55 pm
(@remnant)
Trusted Member

I come from the school of thought that dogs should be groomed on a weekly basis. This is in tandem with the fact that though they have been domesticated, their origin is basically from the wild arena and grooming them on a daily basis would be something of a disturbance to them. This should run concurrently with medical checks as well as disinfection against parasites.

Posted : 17/05/2016 7:59 am
Jezeray
(@jezeray)
Eminent Member

My dog is a doodle (poodle-mix) and that means he has a high maintenance coat. I love that he doesn't shed but there's a price to pay for that lack of shedding and it's more time with a brush. If I want to keep it free of mats, I aim to run a brush through his coat daily for just 10-15 minutes. I can skip one day and be mostly okay but the next day does take longer.

I put a non-slip mat on our table and have him stand on it. At first, I kept one hand on his collar and brushed with the other but now his stand-stay is solid enough that he holds still. Then I run the brush over him, which doesn't take long if he doesn't have knots and clean out his ears with an ear cleaner wipe. This lets me check him for things like ticks or injuries, get anything out of his coat that may be stuck there (like sticky seed pods), and just generally be aware of his physical condition so I notice changes. Last, I handle his paws to check for anything stuck between the pads or damage to the pads. I clip his nails if needed or file them if one is rough but that is pretty rare.

Every 6 weeks, he goes to a professional groomer for bath, full brush out, and trim of his coat and nails.

Posted : 17/05/2016 3:43 pm
(@sharath-s)

I didn't realize that Pugs required so much Grooming. They shed a lot of hair, especially in Summer. I Groom them once every two days to keep my Home clean. I also give it a complete Bath every Sunday and they don't like it. My Dog has never had problems with Tick or any allergies. My Boxer never had to be Groomed and It was fine if we had given it a bath once every Fortnight. Small Dogs are Problematic. Good Luck.

Posted : 18/05/2016 3:24 am
TessV
(@tessv)

Both dogs (a GSD and a golden) get brushed daily, even if it's just a quick once-over with the cushion brush or a comb. They get taken outside every 3-4 days for a session with the undercoat rake, and when they're blowing their coats, I use a rubber Zoom Groom curry brush that really helps get rid of the extra shed coat.

I do their nails once a week. Both of them are used to the Dremel, which makes doing their nails at home much easier for me. I'm nervous about clipping Zero's nails because they're solid black and I can't see the quick, so the Dremel is perfect, just a quick buzz and their nails are nice and neat.

I rarely bathe either of them, which is something that tends to make people make funny faces, but they don't stink at all. They only get bathed once every 3-4 months unless they roll in something really gross or they get into something. I went overboard with bathing my last golden retriever, and his skin and coat got dry and itchy. After experimenting with a lot of different shampoos, conditioners, and supplements, I finally figured out that it was the weekly (and sometimes twice a week) bathing schedule. His coat and skin were fine after I quit doing that. All dogs are different, and some might need more frequent baths, but the brushing and combing keep these two looking and smelling good.

Posted : 18/05/2016 4:38 am
Jezeray
(@jezeray)
Eminent Member

I rarely bathe either of them, which is something that tends to make people make funny faces, but they don't stink at all. They only get bathed once every 3-4 months unless they roll in something really gross or they get into something. I went overboard with bathing my last golden retriever, and his skin and coat got dry and itchy. After experimenting with a lot of different shampoos, conditioners, and supplements, I finally figured out that it was the weekly (and sometimes twice a week) bathing schedule. His coat and skin were fine after I quit doing that. All dogs are different, and some might need more frequent baths, but the brushing and combing keep these two looking and smelling good.

When I had a GSD and a GSD mix, I didn't bathe either of them more than 4-5 times a year. Regular brushing kept their coats nice. If I noticed a strong dog scent on their coats or they got into something messy, they got a bath. Otherwise, I didn't do it even though both of them loved their baths.

With my doodle, he needs the professional bath/brush out/trim regularly because his coat doesn't stop growing and I'm too afraid to do the cutting. As a trade off, as you mentioned, all of those baths mean that I have to be careful about his skin condition. He now gets a moisturizing leave-in conditioner spray and a couple of supplements to help with the dry skin. And the groomer knows not to change his shampoo from the one we found that works best for him.

Posted : 18/05/2016 2:50 pm
MUTTLIFE
(@muttlife)
Eminent Member

OPnce a month, since right now I have pinscher and boxer mutts. And they have short fur. Therefore these breed don't need much grooming.

Posted : 18/05/2016 6:03 pm
LaneA
(@lanea)
Eminent Member

I don't really groom my dogs that often, their hair is really short and brownish, so they don't get noticeably dirty that often. But still, we groom them twice a month I think. But on colder months like December to February we do it just once a month. But still, I'm kind of worried about doing it that often, I don't really remember where I heard that their skin can be damaged if you beat them too often, but I need to do my research on that one too.

Posted : 06/08/2016 8:55 pm
amelia88
(@amelia88)
Eminent Member

If we are talking about professional grooming, we take Banjo to be professionally groomed about every 6 weeks. Any longer than that and he ends up getting super shaggy and looks like a big old fluffball! So 6 weeks is about the magic number there.

For home grooming, we brush him regularly, and give him a bath about every two weeks at home, or sooner if he is looking particularly grubby. We also have to be diligent with cleaning near his eyes, as I find shih tzus end up accumulating a lot of eye gunk if you don't monitor it carefully!

Posted : 06/08/2016 11:29 pm
cluckeyo
(@cluckeyo)
Trusted Member

One thing I really like about our little chihuahua, is that there is little need for grooming. She stays looking great all the time. I can tell by watching her if she has any fleas and so then I give her, her flea medicine, brush her and clip her toes every now and then, and an occasional bath.

http://www.cluckeyo.com
life is good...

Posted : 07/08/2016 3:40 am
klbrds
(@klbrds)

I brush our shiba at least 3-4 times a week to keep the shedding under control. If we don't, then we start to notice fur tumbleweeds travelling across our living room floor!!! Bathing is only reserved for if she finds her way into a mud puddle, or comes down with fleas. We don't like to disrupt the oils in her fur, so we mainly stick to brushing.

Posted : 07/02/2018 1:13 pm
(@lisadolor)

I usually bathe my dogs every other day and brush their teeth everyday. I take them to the dog salon to have their nails trimmed and their fur to be maintained. I never forget to always groom them so that they remain clean, presentable and maintain a good doggy body odor.

Posted : 07/02/2018 3:37 pm
theartisttt
(@theartisttt)

The common mistake of new dog owners when bathing their dog is letting the water go inside the dog's ear and because of this, the dog's ear can become infected and it may start decaying, thus, the stinky smell. It was also my mistake back then but my neighbor told me a tip. She said that whenever I give my dogs a bath, I should put cotton balls in their ears to keep the ear canals dry and I can just wash their ears using wet wipes and dry it immediately with a dry cloth. I bathe my dogs at least thrice a week or even four times a week. I take them to a dog grooming salon because I don't know how to properly trim their nails. I make sure that they also get the prescribed vaccines. It's for them to be clean and healthy at the same time.

Posted : 07/02/2018 4:33 pm
valvulaeconniventes
(@valvulaeconniventes)
Trusted Member

We have our lhasa apsos trimmed once every 1-2 months, brush and wash every 2 days. We check the area around the eyes regularly to keep it from matting

Posted : 07/02/2018 4:51 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: