When you have to tr...

Notifications
Clear all

When you have to travel or go on holiday

30 Posts
30 Users
0 Reactions
(@shortie861)

I remember when my Grandma had her dog he was a golden labrador there were kennels she used to leave him at whilst she visited family in France for a week or two and he seemed very happy being there and was very well looked after. There never was an option for my Grandma to have us or any other family member look after her dog because we had cats and he never really got on with cats.

Posted : 16/05/2016 2:50 am
aquaticneko
(@aquaticneko)
Eminent Member

I usually try to bring them whenever we can. When we used to go camping, we would take all the things necessary to have them camping with us. However, its not always possible to bring them along with us unfortunately. I have a friend who loves pets. I KNOW for sure that she will take proper care of our pets, so I ask her to pet sit. In return, I pet sit for her when she has to be away.

Posted : 16/05/2016 3:21 am
Arvis
(@arvis)
Eminent Member

Always leave someone to watch over them and give them some company.
Dogs are social animals who seem to need human interaction to feel good.

Posted : 16/05/2016 2:29 pm
(@crmeche2)

Our dogs usually stay with a family member when we travel. There have been a couple of times when we had someone house and dog sit. It was when one of our dogs was younger and sickly. He was a stray that we took in, and we were worried about him staying by himself, so we paid someone to stay with him.

I would rather leave my dogs with family than using a pet motel or kenneling them. I want them to be with someone that knows them. Our family members live pretty close to each other, so our dogs are familiar with them.

My brother, on the other hand, travels for work most of the year, and his little dogs travel with him. I think his dogs have more flight and hotel time than I do.

Posted : 17/05/2016 8:44 am
heavymetalkilos
(@heavymetalkilos)
Eminent Member

Usually we give our dog for my grandma that takes care of her. In some rare cases we ask family friends do they have anything going on, and could they take care of our little one. We'd never leave her for a person we don't personally know, so kennels aren't a choice in our case. There has been a lot of horror stories going around about kennels and my step-dad doesn't want to risk it!

Posted : 17/05/2016 9:15 am
BelgiansFTW
(@belgiansftw)
Eminent Member

When I go on a trip I leave my two dogs with my parents. I usually leave a sack of dog food as well just so my parents won't need to spend on them. My mom loves my poodle and my dad loves my 6-year old Belgian so they don't have a lot of problems with them. Once when I went to pick them up I found my little poodle in a doggie dress and my Belgian smelled like flower shampoo. I think they all had fun. 🙂

Posted : 18/05/2016 8:27 pm
MUTTLIFE
(@muttlife)
Eminent Member

When I travel. I leave a relative in charge of the large dogs.Or just leave them be in my backyard and ask to a friendly neighbour to feed them once per day.

Posted : 18/05/2016 9:17 pm
Lisa Davis
(@lisa-davis)
Eminent Member

There are tons of great kennels in my area, but our dog is given too much attention normally to be in a kennel. Plus, he is always spoiled by tons of people he knows and isn't real comfortable with strangers. He isn't mean or anything to them, he just misses us too much. So, since we are leaving for Florida this very Saturday, we literally have family coming in from out of town to watch our precious Beagle, Petey. We just can't have it any other way. If we weren't flying, we would actually take him with us.

Posted : 29/05/2016 6:25 pm
(@swalia)
Eminent Member

When we are visiting relatives and are traveling by our own car, we always take our dog along. Otherwise we leave our dog with some friend or relative. During the last few years, we have made it a point never to leave our dog alone in somebody's care because they stop eating their food and get sick. So one of us stays back to take care of the dog.

Posted : 29/05/2016 9:37 pm
Belovedad
(@belovedad)
Eminent Member

I don't leave home often but when I do it is not usually for long. If I will be gone for a few days, my dogs are trained enough to understand the situation and act accordingly. I ensure than my neighbor feeds them at appropriate times. If I will be gone for weeks then I either get someone to stay at my house or bring the dogs to my parents' home.

Posted : 29/05/2016 10:24 pm
ThesePretzels
(@thesepretzels)

Usually we'll end up asking a friend to feed our dog and let her roam the yard for the week. Which has the added benefits of a once or twice a day visitor to avoid the appearance of vacancy, and the dog can maintain her watchdog status.

Posted : 29/05/2016 10:35 pm
valvulaeconniventes
(@valvulaeconniventes)
Trusted Member

I leave them with my trusted friends or with my cousin (who lives nearby). I never leave them alone and I also don't bring them when traveling because as much as I love them, I'm just scared of bringing them into a different environment.

Posted : 07/02/2018 7:43 pm
MomoStarr16
(@momostarr16)
Eminent Member

I do really know where you came from. I know the feeling of that. It always a problem to me whenever I'm planning to go on a vacation where I can't bring my dog. But of course you should look what is best for your dog. And the best way to do that is to find someone you really know or a relative of your to keep in watch of your pet. If you are going in a long holiday tell them that just let your pet bring in their house. In that case someone will feed and guard your pet.

Posted : 07/02/2018 8:29 pm
Dori
 Dori
(@dori)
Eminent Member

My house is never empty. There's always boys living with me to take care of my dogs whenever I have to travel out of town for a while.

My dogs are very familiar with them because they are more like family too. They look after them all the time. 

Posted : 15/12/2022 12:31 pm
Roberto
(@roberto)
Eminent Member

There's nothing wrong with taking my dogs along with myself and my family too when we are going on a vacation. Doesn't my dogs deserves to enjoy themselves too? They are definitely coming with me because I won't be comfortable leaving them in the care of another. 

Posted : 19/05/2023 2:59 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: