How many dogs is an ample amount?

34 Posts
30 Users
0 Reactions
caribbeangirl
(@caribbeangirl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I know there are some people who are real dog lovers and like to have many dogs around them. What would you say is the ample amount of dogs to own at any one time? I think having 1 to 3 dogs is a good enough amount. Having more than 3 dogs in my opinion would be a lot of responsibility when we consider having to buy dog food for them as well as having to groom them etc. We have been in the habit of keeping only 1 dog at a time, but there are times when we have also had 2 dogs, and we also had 3 dogs at one time in the past.

Would you keep more than 3 dogs at any one time? How many dogs do you like to have around?

Posted : 16/05/2016 3:43 am
pwarbi
(@pwarbi)
Eminent Member

Personally the most amount of dogs I've had at one time is 3, but even that was a little too many to handle and I wouldn't have that many again all at once.

While it's nice having that many dogs around, at the same time they do take a lot of looking after and sometimes even though your doing your best, you do tend to feel that you're neglecting them sometimes as you simply don't have enough time to devote enough attention to them.

Posted : 16/05/2016 7:35 am
LaneA
(@lanea)
Eminent Member

I think that one dog, even if it's a little one, it's a huge responsibility! There are currently three dogs on my house and it's crazy, we need to take care of all of them and try to give them the same love and care and even if I don't take care of them completely it's still hard.

So... I think that when I live alone or maybe with a partner I will probably own one or two dogs.

Posted : 16/05/2016 8:18 am
Rolo
 Rolo
(@rolo)

I think in general probably three, maybe four at a push although I also think it really depends on the dogs, what type of dog, how obedient they are, how lively they are, etc. I have known people who only had three dogs who were difficult to cope with but I've also known people who have had up to six or eight dogs at one and had them completely under control. Personally, I don't think I've ever had more than three dogs at one time.

Posted : 16/05/2016 4:15 pm
lexinonomous
(@lexinonomous)
Eminent Member

I can't imagine having more than three dogs at once. Currently, I have three dogs and they are fairly large. It is costly to take care of this many pets at once, but I love them dearly. I really can't see myself having more than three dogs and if I'm not mistaken, the limit in my town is three per household. I believe having more than three dogs could be not only more costly, but might turn into utter chaos. It's hard to manage a dog's behavior, let alone three of them. Can you imagine trying to maintain five dogs at once? It would be a mess!

Posted : 16/05/2016 5:16 pm
Beermoney
(@beermoney)
Eminent Member

I prefer having just one dog. Maybe getting two dogs so that they can have companion when I am not around. However, I would not go for three or more dogs because it would be too much responsibility to bear. Moreover, I do not have the financial capability to provide for so many dogs at one time. Besides, I do not see the need to have so many dogs since it would mean that I have to spread my love and care to all of them, and each of them would receive less from me.

<a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="">

Posted : 16/05/2016 5:56 pm
lexinonomous
(@lexinonomous)
Eminent Member

I prefer having just one dog. Maybe getting two dogs so that they can have companion when I am not around. However, I would not go for three or more dogs because it would be too much responsibility to bear. Moreover, I do not have the financial capability to provide for so many dogs at one time. Besides, I do not see the need to have so many dogs since it would mean that I have to spread my love and care to all of them, and each of them would receive less from me.

The financial capability has to be the biggest issue I have with more than three dogs. I don't understand how people go through with having more than three dogs. I never really thought about the amount of love the dogs would receive. That is a really good point. It's hard enough keeping up with my three dogs constantly fighting for my attention. I can't imagine having more!

Posted : 16/05/2016 8:21 pm
(@remnant)
Trusted Member

The number of dogs one should keep really depends on one's ability to take care of them in terms of such expenses as health care, food and other maintenance activities. Personally, I would recommend two which is our norm but the number can vary depending on one's requirements for example, if the compound is large, one com keep more dogs.

Posted : 16/05/2016 11:41 pm
BelgiansFTW
(@belgiansftw)
Eminent Member

Dogs need a lot of care and attention not unlike caring for your own children. That's why I think two is enough, one girl, one boy-- preferably siblings and if it isn't obvious already from my username I'd like them to Belgian Malinois'. I have two male belgians in my home right now and they're a lot of trouble, fun an everything in between already.

Posted : 17/05/2016 12:56 am
hachiko
(@hachiko)
Eminent Member

Right now, we have five dogs, one just died recently.:( So at the most, we had six dogs even. It's not unusual for us to have these many dogs simply because most family members are pet lovers. And since we are so many in the family, there's tons of people to care for the dogs as well. Right now, there's six people in our house, with two kids.

And just before my parents in law left, there were eight people here. So it's not really a problem caring or feeding or bathing the dogs. So yes, I would certainly keep more than three dogs around, especially if I have relatives with me.

However, I understand the point of other members. With one dog, there's that undivided attention to him or her. You can play with him or her more and be attentive of his or her needs. But I think that can be remedied by assigning a certain person for playing or feeding duties for a certain dog. That's what we do during hectic schedules, especially for me and my husband.

Another issue would be the finances. With lots of dogs around, there's the issue with food and personal hygiene products. However, we just buy a big sack of dog food and that usually lasts for a few months. And with products, we buy the biggest sizes as well. We just allot a certain budget for these things.

Posted : 17/05/2016 11:57 am
pwarbi
(@pwarbi)
Eminent Member

People also don't tend to think about the space or the financial problems that having a lot of dogs can bring, and while it might be nice to have a lot of dogs around, in reality it can be a massive challenge.

The main concern has to be the dogs at the end of the day, and even if we think we are prepared to look after them, we have to make sure that the dogs are getting the care and attention that they deserve.

Posted : 18/05/2016 9:10 am
Wolfheart57
(@wolfheart57)
Estimable Member

I think for most families that more than two dogs can be to much. It would depend though on what kind of household you have. If you just want a pet and you only plan on cuddling and walking dogs but leave your dog home while you are at work or school. I did know someone who had seven dogs because they were herding dogs that helped him round up his cattle because he couldn't afford to hire extra help full time. They were Australian Shepherds and they lived with him and his wife. I would think of them as to much but they were always kept very active and were very obedient. When he went to town, they would stay in the back of his truck bed without him worrying about them jumping out and running away. So it depends on the household, the dogs, and your relationship with them. In my family, I have a dog and my brother has a dog and that is enough for us.

Posted : 18/05/2016 1:31 pm
rz3300
(@rz3300)
Eminent Member

I think that all depends on the person, and it is really a matter of personal choice. I know some people that it seems like even one dog is enough for them and they are having their hands full, and then others who just live for their dogs and they have as many as five or six. I am happy with my two, but sometimes I would like more and sometimes I would like less, or none at all. I would like to think that most people are aware of their own limits or needs or desires, so hopefully that is the case.

Posted : 18/05/2016 1:50 pm
fuzyon
(@fuzyon)
Eminent Member

It depends on your household and the person. I would personally don't have time to take care of more than 3 dogs because I'm a programmer that also has to do freelance work while at home, so that doesn't leave me with a lot of time to spend with my pups.
Animal lovers sure do like to have a lot of animals around them, but they have to sacrifice a lot of time and effort to take care of them, something I can't quite afford right now. There is also a matter of personal choice, I would go crazy if there were 5 or 6 dogs running around my house everytime.

Posted : 18/05/2016 2:09 pm
Novelangel
(@novelangel)

If the dogs are well behaved, not too noisy, and your home is roomy enough, it is possible to keep a couple large dogs or one large one and a pair of small dogs, but that's just my opinion. In fact, this is a personal decision. Some people simply can't afford too many pets, so one faithful dog might be all they can handle. Plus, if you live in an apartment, you probably have pet restrictions. Where I live, it's two animals. Either two small dogs or two cats or one of each. Planning how many animals you should have depends on a lot of factors, but you definitely have to consider any restrictions pertaining to where you live.

Posted : 18/05/2016 2:18 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: