Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Dogs Forum
Dogs ForumDogs Forum

Forum

Are some breeds bet...

Notifications
Clear all

Are some breeds better than others for a first-time dog owner?

19 Posts
17 Users
0 Reactions
gracer
(@gracer)
Eminent Member

It's best to get a dog when they're first born so you are able to train it from scratch. I've had dogs that simply wouldn't change without a whole lot of resistance due to the fact that they were brought up a different way. That being said, if you aren't able to get a dog at birth, there are certain dog breeds that are easier to train even when they're older puppies/adults; and some don't require much training at all!

In my experience with knowing people and their first-time experiences with dogs, it's pretty unanimous that Golden Retrievers, Bulldogs, and Great Danes can all be amazingly calm and well-composed. You have a smaller dog with the Bulldog, a mid-size dog with the Golden Retriever, and a large dog with the Great Dane. I can name off many others that are great dogs to have, but imo these are the best in terms of calmness and loyalty.

Now for breeds to watch out for. I've had nothing but terrible experiences with Chihuahuas and Dalmations. They both can be excessively aggressive and don't train very well.

If you're unable to get any of the 3 dogs I mentioned, there's a few things you should take note as a first-timer when getting a dog. 1. Shedding. Some people hate shedding and cleaning up the mess. Certain dogs shed more than others. 2. Aggression. You certainly don't want a dog that will snap at you when you get close to you. 3. Trainability. As I stated, those 3 dogs are dogs that I've had the best experiences with. That doesn't mean there aren't other dogs that are as easily trained as they are. 4. Looks. Some people just get a dog based on looks. This is fine, but always ask questions about the dog when buying it, like if it's had a past history of aggression. 5. Size. Always remember you will be paying more in dog food when having a large dog. Dogs that are large require a large area to be in. If you live in an apartment or house with small acreage, I recommend you don't get a large dog.

All in all, don't forget to love your dog, take it for walks, and play with him/her. Have fun with your dog! 🙂

Very well said! 🙂 After reading this post, I also couldn't think of any other thing to add anymore because everything has been basically tackled here. Thank you for this post because I have also learned a lot.

Maybe if there's just one thing that I would add, I think any breed would do as long as the owner has the passion and patience to take good care of a dog. As what others have said, dogs are also part of our family so if we treat them with love and care, they will also respond in their own way of showing you how much they appreciate and love you as their owner. I wish you luck on choosing your dog breed [USER=68]@PenguinManiac[/USER]. 🙂

Posted : 07/08/2016 7:51 pm
Perrito
(@perrito)
Eminent Member

I would personally never recommend big sized and aggressive dogs to non-experienced owners, because it would be something very difficult for them to handle and it would definitely cause a mess, therefore, I highly recommend getting small sized or perhaps medium sized dogs that would fit the space they're going to spend most of their day in and such things in order to make it easier for the owner and better for the dog.

Posted : 07/08/2016 9:19 pm
gracer
(@gracer)
Eminent Member

Speaking of big-sized dogs, my mom has a big dog and it could be quiet aggressive and playful. My mom has had a long experience when it comes to taking care of dogs but she was used to the smaller ones and her age is also now a factor that hinders her from being able to take care of the dog well. One time, she was walking the dog when it suddenly chased a smaller dog. Due to my mom's old age, she suffered an injury because of being pulled so hard by the dog. So I guess the size of a dog also matters not just for how new an owner is but also on how old he/she is.

Posted : 08/08/2016 12:46 am
mkhtk79
(@mkhtk79)

First time owners usually should stay away from breeds that need a lot of grooming, are stubborn, aggressive/dominant, and also large and powerful.

Posted : 18/01/2019 10:42 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: