Clear all

Do you dogs and cats get along?

25 Posts
20 Users
0 Reactions
fcuco
(@fcuco)
Eminent Member

My dogs hate cats, for no apparent reason. Walking them is always a problem when some of the neighborhood cats are around, they go crazy and try to chase them. I really dislike this since I don't want them to hurt a poor cat and also, cats do fight back and my own dogs could get hurt.

These dogs have no aggression problems of any kind and we never taught them to be afraid or to chase cats, on the contrary. They also get alone are always friendly towards other dogs.

Posted : 20/03/2016 5:32 pm
HeyBubba
(@heybubba)
Trusted Member

You've reminded me of a dog we had way back when I was a teenager with similar behavior, unfortunately he was stolen..he would especially crave my mom's attention with somewhat irritating barking noises and circling my mom's feet, which in turn would make her angry as she was always somewhat impatient 🙂

People that steal dogs are the worst :/ we had to sit my friend's mom down and let her know that her plan to sell people's dogs on craigslist was just straight up nonsense. She eventually realized what she was becoming, but boy was that a strange intervention to have. So sick 🙁

Posted : 20/03/2016 6:51 pm
Mars
 Mars
(@mars)
Eminent Member

When I was young, we had all sorts of pets at home, including cats and dogs. They were able to get along fine, especially those that grew up together.

Posted : 20/03/2016 7:00 pm
joshposh
(@joshposh)
Trusted Member

As a kid we had both. They grew up side by side and they never went after each other. They are suppose to be natural enemies, but these guys were raised as siblings. Not everyday you get to see a Pit Bull get along with a cat. Now if they weren't raised together, it would be a different story all together.

Posted : 20/03/2016 7:50 pm
Arvis
(@arvis)
Eminent Member

I have 2 dogs and a cat, they seem to get along quite well. Except when dogs are running around the cat and sniffing it, then she gets a little annoyed. But overall they have no problem with each other.

Posted : 23/03/2016 6:50 am
spence88
(@spence88)
Eminent Member

In my experience, they don't. I have a Golden Retriever. Even when he's still a pup, he liked to chase cats. He didn't mean any harm, of course, he's just wants to play. Unfortunately, those cats think otherwise, and they just snarl at him, and even scratch him sometimes. But that's only with stray cats. He gets along with almost every other cat and animal and everybody else.

Posted : 23/03/2016 8:12 pm
Annemarie
(@annemarie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

[USER=42]@puli93[/USER] - I like that you had some bunnies there in the mix! That's adorable. My friend's sister (who was married with a little daughter) bought a bunny for the family. It was their only pet and I remember thinking "that's not much of a pet". But my friend was always telling me stories of how that bunny had a real personality and completely interacted with the family. When the bunny died the dad took it quite hard. He was a writer who worked from home and spent so much time with the bunny during the day. Just got used to the little thing being in the house with him, hopping around. I personally can't imagine, but they did have their attachment.

Posted : 24/03/2016 5:47 pm
 Liza
(@liza)

We actually have this huge, gray, very mellow tomcat. The only time he gets excited is when he's stalking a mouse. And even then, it's more of a: "meh, it's a mouse, so what?" kind of enthusiasm. But he gets along really good with our rabbit. The rabbit, on the other hand, tends to freeze up when Gray comes near. Maybe he's playing opossum.

Posted : 29/05/2016 7:16 pm
(@filmjunkie08)
Eminent Member

My son and I rescued a kitten about ten years ago and we still have him. Fortunately he is tolerant by nature. My dog would love to play with him all day long if the cat would allow it. The two seem to coexist well.

Posted : 30/05/2016 8:46 am
SAHM2011
(@sahm2011)

I have two dogs and one cat and my cat and my dog in my profile picture are best friends. They play like crazy, they cuddle together, and give each other kisses. Watching them play is one of the most amusing and fun things to do. It's usually better than watching TV! 😀

Also, I swear my cat thinks he is a dog... Hahahaha

Posted : 03/07/2016 6:17 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: