Toilet training

20 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
Corzhens
(@corzhens)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

We had 5 dogs all in all although we now have only 3. All those dogs arrived in our home when they were puppies because I don't want to accept older dogs. For their toilet training, I have learned the trick of the old newspaper. Laid out on the floor, we place the puppy on the newspaper and let it stay there until it does its thing - urinate or defecate. On the second day, the puppy would already know what to do when we place it on the newspaper.

After a week or 2, we would be placing the newspaper in the front yard. That way, the puppy will do its thing on the newspaper because it is already getting to be a habit. And after a month, when the puppy ignores the newspaper, it would do its thing outside the house.

Posted : 15/05/2016 8:25 pm
Lionhearted
(@lionhearted)

How did you get the puppy to stay on the newspaper? That seems like it'd be difficult.

I get why older dogs are less desirable. We the basset mix pictured in my avatar when he was 7, and he has been a real bear with housetraining. Word is that's normal for the breed, though.

Posted : 16/05/2016 12:20 am
SheepDog
(@sheepdog)
Eminent Member

The trick is to always keep an eye on the puppy and keep a newspaper at arm's lenght, so when it makes a the particular movement to do its business, you quickly pick it up and place it on the spot you want it to do its business at. Some people have a diaper set up at some corner in the house if they don't have a yard and the dog follows the diaper even if you change houses.

Posted : 16/05/2016 8:58 am
(@sharath-s)

Yeah, I agree to the fact that older Dogs are difficult to train and are not great for First-time Owners. I strongly recommend Buying a puppy and training them yourself as this will strengthen the bond between you and your Dog. I really advise getting a very Child friendly breed if you are getting a pet for the first time. Anyways, Good Luck.

Posted : 17/05/2016 7:49 am
SheepDog
(@sheepdog)
Eminent Member

There are breeds that are easier to train than others, for example Golden Retrievers are very obedient, but the owner must also stick to the training they established, otherwise the balance of "who makes the call" can tip.

Posted : 17/05/2016 9:20 am
SirJoe
(@sirjoe)
Eminent Member

I have found that some dogs are easier to train then other. I have two dogs and one of them I hardly had to anything for him to become toilet trained, while the the other was a nightmare. Even now I have to be extra careful or he will baptize the whole house.

Posted : 18/05/2016 12:04 am
(@remnant)
Trusted Member

Bowel movement in dogs is a challenging problem. Dogs are known to defaecate all over especially on grass. Toilet training of puppies is easy as you have confirmed but I suppose even older dogs can be trained since they are more discerning. It all depends on the dog's personality. I saw some literature somewhere that some scientists had made progress on a dog food that would produce harmless stony poop that would be quite easy to dispose. Anyone who has an update on the issue?

Posted : 30/05/2016 8:07 am
jaclynkate
(@jaclynkate)

Wow, thank you for this information. I really don't know how to train our dogs, specially toilet training.
My brother was the one who trained our dog,on where to urinate/defecate.
It's really hard. Glad I saw your post. Now I have an idea on how to start, since we are planning to have another puppy soon.

Posted : 09/02/2018 8:36 pm
kaisantos2229
(@kaisantos2229)

My dog don't like popping on my toilet, she get's mad every time when I mad training her to take a poo on my toilet. She prefer the old school way of doing it like digging holes in my backyard, taking a poo on the hole she dig and bury it, she does it like she believes she's a cat. Maybe she learned doing it when she was young while she was playing with my girlfriends cat.

Posted : 09/02/2018 9:19 pm
(@mharzenas)
Eminent Member

I didn't train my dog to poop in toilet rather I teach them to poop outside. But Actually the dog was not that hard to teach to poop outside. I only took me a week continues training to finally my dog get it.

Posted : 10/02/2018 3:36 am
fishbate
(@fishbate)

We had 5 dogs all in all although we now have only 3. All those dogs arrived in our home when they were puppies because I don't want to accept older dogs. For their toilet training, I have learned the trick of the old newspaper. Laid out on the floor, we place the puppy on the newspaper and let it stay there until it does its thing - urinate or defecate. On the second day, the puppy would already know what to do when we place it on the newspaper.

After a week or 2, we would be placing the newspaper in the front yard. That way, the puppy will do its thing on the newspaper because it is already getting to be a habit. And after a month, when the puppy ignores the newspaper, it would do its thing outside the house.

This is great information:eek:, i'm having trouble with this exact situation. Teaching my dog's to poop on the right area;).I always end up cleaning their mess. I will try this method on our younger one's. This will greatly improve my training skills and of course lessen my poop cleaning:p.

Posted : 10/02/2018 6:20 am
(@divche26)

I wish I have known this 3 years back when my dog is still a puppy. Now it's too late to train him. Everytime I will come home from work, I will have to clean up his mess that is literally everywhere. He will do his thing wherever and whenever he wants. While cleaning up, it always comes to my mind that If only I gave time and if I patiently trained him, I will not be suffering like this today. Lesson learned!

Posted : 10/02/2018 9:43 am
argel241
(@argel241)

Wow! That was amazing! Although I am not having any trouble with their poops how I wish I can do the same.What I Iike most of my dogs is that they never poop inside the house.They will go outside and dig in the sand like cats.

Posted : 10/02/2018 11:15 am
(@romeo200)

Wow, thank you for this nice information. I really don't know how to train our dogs, specially toilet training.
My brother was the one who trained our dog,on where to urinate/defecate.
It's really hard. Glad I saw your post. Now I have an idea on how to start,

Posted : 21/02/2018 4:57 am
 Woof
(@woof)
Eminent Member

That's some helpful information, mate. Thanks. My dog is pretty well house trained but she's on about getting a new dog and I was dreading those puppy days lol.

Posted : 20/02/2021 8:57 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: