When your dog looks at you like "What on earth are you doing?"

15 Posts
14 Users
0 Reactions
Hundred
(@hundred)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Does anyone know what I mean? Dogs seem to know when we are being daft and although they don't openly laugh at us, they have that perfect expression for "Wow, that was a really weird thing you just did".

Posted : 01/06/2016 3:16 am
Valerie
(@valerie)
Trusted Member

I get this from a lot of animals, lol, not just dogs. Cats seem pretty good at making this face too. I think it's funny when animals get confused by human actions. Even better when they express it with narrowed eyes or a cocked head. My parents' dog, Rufio, is a perfect example of this... although we think it's more out of dumbness than confusion or amusement. Not that the big dope isn't a great dog, he just gets baffled by humans and will sit down, ears pinned back, and just stare at us or our friends like the Fry from Futurama meme, "Can't tell if this is normal human behavior or not."

Freelance Writer, Dance, and Fitness Professional living abroad in Japan.
Feel free to visit my <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="website">website or check out <a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Fiverr">Fiverr.

Posted : 01/06/2016 3:29 am
SheepDog
(@sheepdog)
Eminent Member

Yeah, like: Every time someone picks its poops, everytime we eat something unknown to our dog, everytime we hold a new gadget...Our dog finds it especially weird when we are doing something on a computer. The first time around she sniffed around the keyboard and licked the screen trying to understand what this item is and why it's catching so much of our attention.

Posted : 01/06/2016 10:13 am
Hundred
(@hundred)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I think pugs and French bulls are the best at the head-cocking-to-one-side look of confusion. I could sit and watch YouTube videos of them doing that all day. They always look like they are thinking their owner is just the most bizarre creature in the world. I'm glad to hear it's not only my dog who thinks I'm crazy.

Posted : 01/06/2016 4:59 pm
OursIsTheFury
(@oursisthefury)

Me when I'm eating. I don't know if my pets are just curious at what I'm eating, or whether they are trying to grab your attention because they want a piece of your food too. Maybe both, I really couldn't tell at times. But it's fun having them around, especially to liven up the apartment, as it is just me most of the time. I love having pets that run around and make a place home.

Posted : 01/06/2016 7:34 pm
BelgiansFTW
(@belgiansftw)
Eminent Member

My dog just stares at me sometimes especially after I pet him-- probably waiting to be petted more. Sometimes my Belgian sits beside me when I watch TV and when I react because of the scenes in a show he'd just stare at me like he's judging me for being a weirdo nerd. I don't think dogs judge their owners but they do wonder about the unconventional things we do and get confused the way children are when you show them a new thing.

Posted : 02/06/2016 12:51 am
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

Yes, I am starting to realize that I am talking to my dog more and more each day. Every time I said something to him, he gave that look and then twitched his ears this way and that. He can pick up some words that he understood already, such as toys, treats, let's go, etc. However, most of time he looked at me with his head tilted and his ear twitched trying to understand me 🙂

Posted : 02/06/2016 1:46 am
hachiko
(@hachiko)
Eminent Member

Lol, whenever we're laughing at something, our dogs stare at us like we're crazy people. Sometimes, I'd explain to them what we're laughing about but they still look at me like I'm the one who needs explaining. Other times, we'd be doing something, like cleaning the house or vacuuming and they'd hang out next to us, giving us this look like we're up to something weird.

It's fun though... There are times that I am actually doing something weird. Like watching television series and crying at times. They would look at me, all concerned and like thinking, "Is something happening?" And at times, I would receive a funny text and laugh out loud, they would be startled and try and figure out what's making me laugh.

Sigh... They're so adorable despite their cluelessness. Lol.

Posted : 02/06/2016 8:12 am
Joel7050
(@joel7050)
Eminent Member

I sometimes get this look from dogs, cats, even terrapins. I think they are just looking at us, analysing the situation with their simpler minds, then looking at us. They're like little children. Just curious of the situation and thinking to themselves "what are you doing".

Posted : 07/08/2016 4:00 am
djordjem87
(@djordjem87)

I believe that they tolerate us way too much. Our logic is not logic at all to animals because we do things we like. We do things that are fulfilling our inner satisfaction. Dogs eat, play, shit and sleep. It is simple and they see the real deal actually. When we go for a walk the only thing they see is what is in front of them. The nature, him and you. The life. We see bills, problems, job, pay check ... We are in the middle of most beautiful nature, with a happy dog, near the river. It's summer and you can hear the birds humming but we have to check our email or Facebook. The dog is amazed by everything every single time but for us it is boring. Been there done that. They are confused for sure when they see we don't want to play or run with them.

Posted : 08/08/2016 4:50 am
coolprogramer36
(@coolprogramer36)

Does anyone know what I mean? Dogs seem to know when we are being daft and although they don't openly laugh at us, they have that perfect expression for "Wow, that was a really weird thing you just did".

Indeed, Last time I remembered that my dog stares at me like fooling with me. At first, I didn't notice that she was staring but when I was about to go to sleep, I noticed her staring to me and I laugh so much. I called her name and say " Hey andrea what's up ? " she answered me by nodding her head. That's the first time I saw her acting so strange.

Posted : 07/02/2018 12:29 pm
Martinsx
(@martinsx)
Eminent Member

I completely lost it laughing out loud immediately reading this thread title and the message content it came with because it's just so true. I get this looks from not just my dog alone but from other animals as well. Once you make eye contact with them, your thinking faculty would lay it bare for you that your dog is seeing you like you are fooling around.

There was a time I had to talk back at my dog Billy to stop looking at me, like hey do you want to come and help me out? Instead stop moping at me like you care to help me out. After my little spat, I burst out with laughter like what is wrong with me :D.

Posted : 07/02/2018 1:32 pm
theartisttt
(@theartisttt)

I get that kind of look whenever I put my earphones on and start swaying my head. But what I get from them every single time is a look that looks like they are saying "I love you". They tilt their head a little and stare at me for at least a minute and they approach me and cuddle with me. I love how my dog look at me with affection. When I scold them, I get a literal puppy eyes and it melts me. I mean, how can you resist that cute look? Never can I resist that. Also, one of my favorite look that my dogs give me is when I get into a quarrel with my brother and when I hit him jokingly my dogs bark at me they go in between us and they look at me quite angrily while barking and it's like they are saying "No! Stop it! That's bad." I swear, dogs are amazing!!!

Posted : 07/02/2018 5:06 pm
valvulaeconniventes
(@valvulaeconniventes)
Trusted Member

Thatm's the thing I love about dogs, their faces are very full of expression similar to humans and so we can more or less understand what they're thinking just by the way they look. I love it when dogs give me their cute face when it wants to have some food or sad/guilty face when they have done something wrong haha

Posted : 07/02/2018 5:09 pm
Darryl
(@darryl)

My dog thought whatever i did was weird. He comes beside me whatever i am doing. He was always curious on my hobby. Sometimes i teach him but he cant learn haha specialy when i play simple games in my gadget. He just keep looking at it.

Posted : 07/02/2018 5:12 pm
Share: