Leaving your dog home alone

31 Posts
27 Users
1 Reactions
ivukadinovic
(@ivukadinovic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi. I work 8-hour shift every day. I come home all tired and sometimes I don't have enough strength to take him for a walk so we just stay home and play fetch or something that's fun for him. Aris doesn't care, as long as I boost him with lots of attention. We go outside approximately 4 times a week. I know that is not enough but It seems like he is okay with It. What I am interested in is how long do you lave your furry friends alone? And did you ever consider purchasing those interactive pet cameras for monitoring and playing?[video=youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmJWyuq47w [/video]

Posted : 07/02/2018 11:30 am
Martinsx
(@martinsx)
Eminent Member

Hi. I work 8-hour shift every day. I come home all tired and sometimes I don't have enough strength to take him for a walk so we just stay home and play fetch or something that's fun for him. Aris doesn't care, as long as I boost him with lots of attention. We go outside approximately 4 times a week. I know that is not enough but It seems like he is okay with It. What I am interested in is how long do you lave your furry friends alone? And did you ever consider purchasing those interactive pet cameras for monitoring and playing?[video=youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmJWyuq47w [/video]

I'm a teacher and dogs aren't allowed inside the school premises, so therefore I practically have to leave my dog at home during the school weekdays from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm when I normally come back from work.

So therefore, I still have ample time to spend with him before the day runs out. We can go for a walk in the park and engage in little running as well just to get him all warmed up and lively. My dog Billy do enjoy his evening walk so much that I always try my best to give it to him as long as I'm not too tired from work.

Posted : 07/02/2018 1:58 pm
Nazzyi reacted
jyy
 jyy
(@jyy)
Trusted Member

My dog doesn't like being inside when no humans are present. He goes crazy. However, though, in massively cold or hot weather, I will keep him in any way. Nonetheless, a dog has mental health issues much like a human and being confined is terrible for one - but I'm not sure exactly what is considered past the limit.

Posted : 07/02/2018 2:20 pm
theartisttt
(@theartisttt)

I never leave my dogs alone at home and I am so glad my mother is fond of dogs too. Whenever I am not around, she takes care of them. All of my dogs love the rain so much and they always look outside a window whenever it's raining. So my mother, together with my uncle, made a small house for them and these past few days it has been raining again and they always spend their time outside watching the rain drops meet the surface. When no one's home and it's not raining, they still stay outside. I don't know but I think they already know what to do. My mother approximately leave them for about two hours when she have to go somewhere so we let our neighbors take a look at them and they said that whenever we leave them alone, they stay outside and they all sleep until my mother or I come home.

Posted : 07/02/2018 4:09 pm
Darryl
(@darryl)

We leave our dog at home we just leave him a bunch of food when we go somewhere. Dog also can be a security at home when the house is unattended.

Posted : 07/02/2018 5:02 pm
(@apollo0915)

I leave my dog at home always because my work is night shift. When i am leaving for work he always go to me until the door and be like can you take me with you but after i close the door my dog always go back to sleep. After i go back home im not yet open the door but he is standing on it like he knows that im already there and my dog always jump on me whenever i come back home.

Posted : 07/02/2018 5:23 pm
valvulaeconniventes
(@valvulaeconniventes)
Trusted Member

I can't leave my dogs alone, there is usually someone who stays in the house to keep them company.

Posted : 07/02/2018 6:25 pm
ivukadinovic
(@ivukadinovic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I leave my dog at home always because my work is night shift. When i am leaving for work he always go to me until the door and be like can you take me with you but after i close the door my dog always go back to sleep. After i go back home im not yet open the door but he is standing on it like he knows that im already there and my dog always jump on me whenever i come back home.

The same thing is happening here. It makes me sad a bit because of the all unconditional love he gives me. Also, It means so much to me to see other people with similar problems. I envy all of you who have the alternative of leaving the pets with some other human. I don't.

Posted : 09/02/2018 9:26 am
daggy24
(@daggy24)

Luckily I work from home so my dog does not have to left alone often. If I go out it's usually when my husband is home. However the few times we do need to leave him alone (like, when I had to go to the ER with a bad asthma attack at 2 AM a few weeks ago) he completely panics (can't blame him, he's rarely left alone so this is stressful for him) and barks the entire time. Our neighbors houses are right up against ours so it is a problem, the entire neighborhood can hear him screaming. We are thinking we are going to need to leave him alone intentionally to try to get him used to it, so that when we do have to leave him it won't be so traumatic.

In terms of outside time, I do walk him daily because we don't have a lot of yard space. We only skip walks if the weather is absolutely horrible.

Posted : 09/02/2018 9:45 am
ivukadinovic
(@ivukadinovic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Luckily I work from home so my dog does not have to left alone often. If I go out it's usually when my husband is home. However the few times we do need to leave him alone (like, when I had to go to the ER with a bad asthma attack at 2 AM a few weeks ago) he completely panics (can't blame him, he's rarely left alone so this is stressful for him) and barks the entire time. Our neighbors houses are right up against ours so it is a problem, the entire neighborhood can hear him screaming. We are thinking we are going to need to leave him alone intentionally to try to get him used to it, so that when we do have to leave him it won't be so traumatic.

In terms of outside time, I do walk him daily because we don't have a lot of yard space. We only skip walks if the weather is absolutely horrible.

I may be hard to teach him to be alone If he's a grown dog. But what may be useful is to leave him with some dog music. I have never tried this but I know some people who have. Here's a link to the channel with dog music.
[video=youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CDGNtF0asg [/video]

Posted : 09/02/2018 9:52 am
(@christian28)

I live my dogs to my home because my dogs are the guard of my house.

Posted : 09/02/2018 11:48 am
 ion
(@ion)

I can't do that to my dog, specially to Odie, because he will cry if he knows that no one inside the house. I always ask my relatives to look after them if we're in vacation. funny but that's true, and I hate Odie's voice when he cries.

this

Posted : 09/02/2018 1:04 pm
(@dogarc18)

I don't like the idea that our dog left alone at home. I would always seek someone to take care of him. He must always have someone to play with. If we go out we prefer to bring our dog with us. Dogs, when taken to a new place, feels excited about it. He doesn't stop sniffing around and run hilariously.

Posted : 09/02/2018 2:15 pm
(@xboxfoxy)

I take my yorkie out every morning and let him run in the backyard for about 5 minutes and then I put in a crate for the next 9 hours. I know it sounds cruel but I cannot trust him alone in the house as he pees in all of the corners if left alone. However, when I get home I take him out and let him play all he wants in the backyard. I certainly wished i had the money to either put him in a K9 care center or hire someone to take him out during the day. I know it is not fair to leave him stuck in a crate all day long but I dont feel I have a choice, I do make sure I leave him food and leave him clean water. I certainly hopes he sleeps most of those 10 hours 🙁

Posted : 09/02/2018 3:21 pm
(@renan1217)

When Im leaving my house because of work ,i felt lonely because i leave snow my dog alone in my house Im sure she was lonely to,but when i get home she was very happy and starts to jump at me."You can usually tell that a man is good if he has a dog who loves him" that quotes leave a pin in my heart.

Posted : 09/02/2018 4:23 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: