29 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
beli
 beli
(@beli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

My lab and I met when she happened along at a garden party I was attending. The host went out front to check on his sprinklers. When he returned to the back yard, he opened the gate with a flourish and said, "Guess who I ran into out front?" as if she were a VIP human. We all wanted to take her home with us. But after round table discussion, I was the only who didn't have anyone at home to say no. The host even discussed adopting her with his wife, who said if their current dog agreed it would be fine. As if she understood, the lab approached the border collie with an inquisitive expression. When the border collie replied with a growl, the lab officially joined my family.

Posted : 14/03/2016 2:37 am
IcyFirefly
(@icyfirefly)
Estimable Member

Sounds like it worked out perfectly for you!

My family and Capone have never met in person like your story! I actually saw him and his sister on Craiglist for sales. I fell in love with him instantly and inquired about getting him. After a long negotiation, I got him for half the price that they asked for. He was only 7 weeks old so he was a baby at the time. We first met when we went to pick him up. He just melt in my son's arm and that was that!

Posted : 14/03/2016 2:55 am
Corzhens
(@corzhens)
Estimable Member

As I had posted in another thread, our first dog is Jedi. When my husband got that puppy from his sister, I did not touch it and I was content in just looking at the puppy. But after a week, the 2-month old puppy had diarrhea and wouldn't eat. She was very weak and I thought she was dying. I suggested that we bring her to a vet. And we did. When we were about to leave the clinic, Jedi was yelping and maybe crying for us. I felt sad and that was the start that I began to love that dog.... because I didn't know that I was already crying.

Posted : 14/03/2016 4:03 am
Steve Dawson
(@steve-dawson)

Both of my dogs were rescue dogs that I got from a shelter. They hadn't been mistreated but the owner was unable to look after them any longer due to health problems. I originally only wanted one dog but the owner had asked that they be kept together if it all possible. Once I saw how attached they were to each other I couldn't possibly separate them and ended up with two dogs instead. When I was driving home from the shelter they cuddled up together in the back seat and I knew I'd made the right choice.

Posted : 14/03/2016 6:05 am
djspaniel
(@djspaniel)
Eminent Member

Well, I saw an ad that had been posted by a Vet near my home. He said that the first owners had abandoned the puppy at his clinic because the puppy was really weak. Well, I went over to see the puppy myself and just fell in love. Also, the fact that someone could simply abandon a puppy is something that I couldn't digest. Anywho, I brought him home - the vet had given me a bunch of vitamins and warned me that chances of my spaniel surviving were not good.

I took my chance and five years later he is still as healthy as can be. I think care, love, and a lot of training made sure that he became as healthy as a horse 🙂

Posted : 14/03/2016 6:53 am
Annemarie
(@annemarie)
Eminent Member

There was an old lady who had my yorkipoo first. I knew the lady from a friend of mine. At the time I had a bulldog named Floyd and this old lady had Butters. I loved Butters and knew this old lady was getting on in years, probably her little sweet dog would outlive her. But I live in a small space and couldn't think of bringing another dog into my home. Sadly, Floyd had to be put down and I was so miserable. My friend suggested I take Butters and I was very resistant at first. I didn't want to replace my Floyd. But the older lady needed help anyway, and soon enough we were almost sharing Butters. Eventually the old woman went to a nursing home (and then passed on). Butters stayed with me and I love him more than I could ever imagine.

Posted : 14/03/2016 10:14 am
Theboysmom04
(@theboysmom04)
Eminent Member

My dog and I first met at the grooming salon where I worked. He came in to get a bath and a trim before being shipped off to a rescue. I knew from the moment he rolled over to let me blow dry his belly that he had to be mine. I talked with his foster mom and we arranged for him to make a few trips to my house and its worked out perfect every since.

Posted : 14/03/2016 11:12 am
puli93
(@puli93)
Eminent Member

When I was 3 years old we moved to a house with a bigger garden. Sadly at the first week the old neighbour's dog came over and bit me on my face, painfully next to my left eye.

I was afraid, terrified of dogs from then on. But I got a small dog for my next birthday, maybe to ease my hard feelings, it was a puli, a mop dog, like Mark Zuckeberg's.
I liked her really much and she taught me to trust in dogs in general. Miss her.

Posted : 14/03/2016 11:39 am
deansaliba
(@deansaliba)

My previous dog had died and I was heartbroken, a year later my brother's dog had some puppies and they had the runt of the litter left and he was about to send her to Battersea to potentially be put down. He brought her round and I fell in love with her as she immediately ran away down the hallway with my slipper!

Posted : 14/03/2016 1:40 pm
morgoodie
(@morgoodie)
Eminent Member

I met my Boston Terrier, Batman, when I went to visit my niece after she had her first child. I did not like him at first because he was quite hyper when we first got there. After a while, he calmed down and he ended up on the couch next to me and then he would get on my lap and sleep. I fell in love with him. It got to the point where he would have nothing to do with my niece. It was funny. She ended up letting me have him because she was going to move to a place that she could not have a dog.

My Pit Bull, Bella, came into my possession because a neighbor was going to have to take her to the pound since he could not keep her. She had run away a couple of times and the last time they were not home so I kept her until they came home. He told me I could keep her since it seemed that she really liked our family. The kids love her and so do I. She is very sweet and gentle. She gets along pretty good with Batman and I think he likes her most of the time.

Posted : 14/03/2016 4:23 pm
Ladyferoz
(@ladyferoz)
Trusted Member

Such beautiful stories. I met my puppy in the street, it was freezing cold and it was alone. It was around midnight so no one was around, brought him home and put flyers around. His owners eventually contacted us to keep him. Some people tried their luck by claiming him, but did not even own one picture of him.

Posted : 15/03/2016 5:34 am
(@marriedgirl15)

All of you have great stories. My baby was a Mother's Day gift from my husband. He was just a puppy at the time, he was the cutest thing ever. I remember him being so small and afraid. Once I picked him up and held him close, he began to calm down and he's been apart of the family ever since. He's a great dog and he's great with my kids. I can't see life without him.

Posted : 15/03/2016 6:14 am
joshposh
(@joshposh)
Trusted Member

I got my latest dog from the pet store. It's a pure breed with American papers. I cold of gotten any old dog from the neighborhood. That's what we use to do when we were kids. But this time I wanted a pure breed. First time for everything. They set you up in a little cubical to play with the dog. Once I put my hands on him, I was sold.

Posted : 20/03/2016 7:30 pm
integrity101
(@integrity101)

I found Lorenzo at a pet rescue center on my son's 11th birthday. I meant to give him to my son for his birthday but changed my mind on the drive home and decided to keep him instead (I can be a selfish dad at times). I bought the young boy some other present instead.

Posted : 22/03/2016 3:53 am
Benoit W
(@benoit-w)
Trusted Member

My dоg wаs аn impulsе purсhаsе. I wаs сhесking оut shеltеrs bесаusе I wаs thinking аbоut gеtting а dоg, I sаw hеr, а skinny littlе rаt tеrriеr with lоng lеgs, аnd immеdiаtеly knеw shе wаs minе.

Thеy prасtiсаlly thrеw hеr аt mе, gаvе hеr tо mе fоr vеry сhеаp, аnd аddеd а tоn оf frее stuff. I didn't think аnything оf it аt thе timе until I disсоvеrеd hоw muсh оf а littlе mоnstеr shе wаs. Shе wаs а yаppy littlе nightmаrе, shе hаtеd оthеr dоgs, shе'd run аwаy, аnd shе hаd sеvеrе sеpеrаtiоn аnxiеty.

Thеrе wеrе timеs whеn I соnsidеrеd giving hеr bасk but I wаs dеtеrminеd nоt tо bе bеаtеn by а silly littlе dоg, аnd mаnаgеd tо trаin hеr prоpеrly. Nоw shе's fаt аnd оld, shе соmеs with mе tо wоrk еvеry dаy. Shе's rоаd trippеd with mе аnd my friеnds аrоund thе соuntry, аnd huntеd rаbbits fоr оur dinnеr. Shе саn wаlk with mе оff thе lеаsh, shе's dignifiеd аnd rеspесtеd by аll thе dоgs shе mееts. Grеаt suссеss but my gоd wаs it а hаrd rоаd.

Posted : 22/03/2016 1:19 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: