• We love all Dogs and Puppies!

Toilet training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behavior' started by Corzhens, May 16, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

We had 5 dogs all in all although we now have only 3. All those dogs arrived in our home when they were puppies because I don't want to accept older dogs. For their toilet training, I have learned the trick of the old newspaper. Laid out on the floor, we place the puppy on the newspaper and let it stay there until it does its thing - urinate or defecate. On the second day, the puppy would already know what to do when we place it on the newspaper.

After a week or 2, we would be placing the newspaper in the front yard. That way, the puppy will do its thing on the newspaper because it is already getting to be a habit. And after a month, when the puppy ignores the newspaper, it would do its thing outside the house.

2. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

How did you get the puppy to stay on the newspaper? That seems like it'd be difficult.

I get why older dogs are less desirable. We the basset mix pictured in my avatar when he was 7, and he has been a real bear with housetraining. Word is that's normal for the breed, though.

3. SheepDog

SheepDog New Member

The trick is to always keep an eye on the puppy and keep a newspaper at arm's lenght, so when it makes a the particular movement to do its business, you quickly pick it up and place it on the spot you want it to do its business at. Some people have a diaper set up at some corner in the house if they don't have a yard and the dog follows the diaper even if you change houses.

4. Sharath S

Sharath S New Member

Yeah, I agree to the fact that older Dogs are difficult to train and are not great for First-time Owners. I strongly recommend Buying a puppy and training them yourself as this will strengthen the bond between you and your Dog. I really advise getting a very Child friendly breed if you are getting a pet for the first time. Anyways, Good Luck.

5. SheepDog

SheepDog New Member

There are breeds that are easier to train than others, for example Golden Retrievers are very obedient, but the owner must also stick to the training they established, otherwise the balance of "who makes the call" can tip.

6. SirJoe

SirJoe Member

I have found that some dogs are easier to train then other. I have two dogs and one of them I hardly had to anything for him to become toilet trained, while the the other was a nightmare. Even now I have to be extra careful or he will baptize the whole house.

7. remnant

remnant Member

Bowel movement in dogs is a challenging problem. Dogs are known to defaecate all over especially on grass. Toilet training of puppies is easy as you have confirmed but I suppose even older dogs can be trained since they are more discerning. It all depends on the dog's personality. I saw some literature somewhere that some scientists had made progress on a dog food that would produce harmless stony poop that would be quite easy to dispose. Anyone who has an update on the issue?