• We love all Dogs and Puppies!

Collar or harness?

Discussion in 'Dog Supplies' started by PenguinManiac, Mar 22, 2016.

1. OutOfSpoons

OutOfSpoons New Member

I prefer the harness. If I had a collar around my neck, I'd be rather uncomfortable, and I'd much rather have a harness or something. I also think that harness give you more control over a dog when you walk them, which would be very helpful for walking big, untrained dogs. Like a previous poster mentioned, for dogs with weak necks it's a must have.

2. RavenStar

RavenStar New Member

I guess it depends on the breed of the dog and its behavior. I had a pretty big and strong dog with quite a temper. So, we always used a collar on him. He has never really experienced any chocking problems even though his push was pretty strong sometimes. But the collar is the thing that helps as he realizes that he needs to stop now.

3. IcyFirefly

IcyFirefly Member

I have both, collar and harness! We use the collar on a daily basis and harness for when we walk him in public. It seems he pulls less when the harness is on than with the collar.

I have heard and watched Cesar Millan that if you keep the leash hook to the collar on the top of the dog neck, not underneath, the dog behaves better.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

We use the collar most of the time for the convenience. But when we are going to the park or to the mall, we use the harness because we can pull it without harm to our dogs. In fact, when going up or down the stairs, we can just pull the harness to assist the dog if it's having a hard time on the stairs. With the collar, they might choke.

However, the harness is not easy to put on. It takes time and sometimes our housemaid would attach it in the wrong way. But definitely it is the harness when we go on social activities.

5. PetLover

PetLover New Member

We have always used just a collar for our dog and had no injury problems or anything.

When you want to pull your dog to one direction if its a trained dog, you just need to give it some pressure in the right direction and the dog would move by itself, its not like you have to pull the collar with all your might as that would surely hurt the dog.

We choose the collar to keep the dog free as well, as we do not like putting it in a harness.