• We love all Dogs and Puppies!

A big dog in a flat

Discussion in 'Dog Health' started by oportosanto, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Jezeray

Jezeray Member

I think some dogs do better in a small space than others. Greyhounds are large dogs...but they're sprinters and don't really need more than a couple of long walks a day. They sleep most of the time. Adult Great Danes are huge but they're lazy couch potatoes most of the time. A small dog might be able to run around and get all the exercise it needs chasing a ball in the living room. Some breeds are more independent and don't mind being alone. I think it's more a matter of matching your realistic lifestyle expectations with the needs common to the breed. There are definitely dogs who could be happy in an apartment or small space. Others might be okay if they got a lot of exercise or went to a doggie daycare to play while the owner was at work.

2. oportosanto

oportosanto Member

Exactly, it's a vicious cycle. One of the dogs I had when I was a kid we had to give him away because we were living in a flat. It was really painful for me, but at the end of the day it was the best for him.

3. remnant

remnant Member

It would not be a bad idea to have a dog in a flat since dogs adjust to the environment they have been exposed to. However, the best approach is to have the dog brought up in a flat from their infancy as a grown up dog would experience alot of stress if brought from an expansive compound to a smaller hamlet.

4. MUTTLIFE

MUTTLIFE Member

Well It entirely depends of your dog's breed. Some large sized dogs don't require so much activity, compared to some small or medium sizes dogs, like shiba or akita inu. The miniature pinschers are very restless but they can fit very well in small flats given its ludicrously small sizes. They need high activity periods, nevertheless.

5. psanch

psanch New Member

I don't think dogs should be cooped up in an apartment at all. It's even worse when companionship is not available to it at all times. They are extremely social beings and feel the absence of their owners quite terribly. I think dogs only make sense when there are wide open spaces and the company of other dogs available.

6. oportosanto

oportosanto Member

That's precisely how I think too. Sure, we love dogs and we want to have one, but if we are living in a flat we should seriously consider if we are being selfish in having one in such a confined space.

7. PetLover

PetLover New Member

This same thing was experienced by my friend's dog as well. SO i just asked him to keep his dog with us while goes to work, as we have a backyard where the dog can play with my dog and thus have some outdoor time as well, to ensure that the dog is not depressed.

23 hours a day indoors, would just depress the dog, nothing else. You can have a dog inside a flat, but you need to make sure that the dog is spending 4 to 5 hours outside each day to ensure that the dog is not depressed.