We love all Dogs and Puppies!

Recent content by My3Sons_NJ

1. My3Sons_NJ

Crufts controversy

The dog competition world is very insular and, as such, is ripe for potential opportunities for corruption. The Figure Skating world was very similar in its insularity and only opened up and cleaned itself up a bit after the vote-buying scandal in the Salt Lake City Olympics. However, until...
  2. My3Sons_NJ

I have a 9-year old rescued stray dog that I want to train. Is there any hope?

There is always hope but the adage, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" does have a kernel of truth. When humans are children, they are like sponges and can pick up knowledge and behaviors quite readily but it becomes much more difficult the older a human gets. In the same way, a puppy is...
  3. My3Sons_NJ

Does your dog like cats?

My dog gets unnerved by one of my cats who tries to 'stare him down' but he is fine with the other two cats in my household. In fact, the youngest cat treats him like an honored ancestor and goes out her way to clean him and help him down the stairs (his eyesight isn't great). As long as their...
  4. My3Sons_NJ

How did you Choose your dog?

My Whippet had loose-joints at birth so he was considered a significant health risk (plus he had only one functioning kidney) but he looked so afraid in the cage that I was willing to 'roll the dice' and adopt him. 14 years alter, he is still with us and is the oldest of our seven fur and human...
  5. My3Sons_NJ

What dog would you recommend for novice owners?

Although Labradors are considered to be one of the best dogs for a novice owner, they are a fairly large dog and are known to be 'chewers' well beyond the puppy stage. If you are looking for a smaller dog, I'd definitely recommend the Boston Terrier breed and a German Shorthaired Pointer or...
  6. My3Sons_NJ

Dog Meat Festival in China - Must be Stopped!

The Chinese are not particularly sensitive to human rights as they tolerate mass murder from the authorities, severe pollution and appalling working conditions. We are looking at this festival with disgust and disdain since most of us have been brought up with morals and values that were...
  7. My3Sons_NJ

Cutting Ears

The comparison between declawing cats and cutting a dog's ears is not apt since the dog's mobility, ability and purpose are not compromised when its ears are cut whereas a cat loses a significant portion of its hunting and survival ability when it is declawed. I am looking at getting a Doberman...
  8. My3Sons_NJ

What brand of food do you use?

Since my dog is fairly old and has had bouts of pancreatitis over the years, necessitating a low-fat diet, we buy Holistic Senior dry dog food for him and several varieties of Wellness wet food. He likes the turkey stew and venison varieties which are both high quality (almost human-grade) and...
  9. My3Sons_NJ

Bathing Your Dog

My wife or I bathe our dog once a month unless it is extremely cold, in which case we will wait until the weather becomes a bit more temperate before bathing him. The important thing to consider is to make sure that you get a high quality dog shampoo and/or conditioner to prevent drying out...
  10. My3Sons_NJ

A warm sweater for winter

My dog enjoys wearing his sweater and/or coat in the wintertime as, being a Whippet, he is very susceptible to the cold and damp of winter. We had to order a specialty sweater and coat from Hound Togs since his build is different from other dogs who are not in the greyhound family and it is...
  11. My3Sons_NJ

Proud owner of a Whippet

Hello, everyone! My name is Rudy Rotter and I am a proud owner of a loyal and devoted Whippet named Ray. He has certainly slowed down a bit over the years but he is still the king of our household and is considered the first 'child' of our family. My three sons love him very much as well and...