We love all Dogs and Puppies!

Recent content by Lisa Davis

1. Lisa Davis

Indoor pond

I know people that have indoor ponds. Most of the time the dogs will attempt to take a drink now and again, but for the most part, they have been trained to stay away or are just not that interested to begin with. I have heard different stories about cats and indoor ponds and aquariums though.
  2. Lisa Davis

Aquaponics?

I have not personally tried this, but I have had lots of actual real live plants in aquariums I have owned before and it does not seem to help with the poop. I really don't know anything specific about aquaponics though is there more to it than just having the live plants in the tank?
  3. Lisa Davis

Are some breeds better than others for a first-time dog owner?

I think Labs and Golden Retrievers are a pretty easy first breed. They don't have very many breed-specific problems. They are pretty easy going. They get along well with children. Plus, they are smart so sometimes I feel they are pretty easy to train and wanting to please their owner(s).
  4. Lisa Davis

Petie the Beagle is a closet gymnast

Ok, so I moved in with my dad a few months ago. He has a lovely ranch house that he shares with out family Beagle, Petie. However, the basement has been turned into a separate apartment that I have now rented. Anyway, I usually go upstairs to Dad's living quarters during the day and watch TV...
  5. Lisa Davis

Favourite toys?

My dog destroys any toy. I buy Kong brand of toys. I do this because it is the only toy brand he hasn't figured out how to destroy. I was literally buying multiple toys a month. He's a Beagle and it is so funny to see how protective he is of his toys.
  6. Lisa Davis

How many dogs is an ample amount?

I've had as many as three dogs at once. It's nice because they play together, but honestly, I like only having one. I take immaculate care of my dog and having more than one is just way too costly and time consuming for me. Plus, now I live in a smaller space so I think it is important to...
  7. Lisa Davis

Do you let your dog off the lead in public places?

Even if your dog is well-behaved, you can't control the behavior of other dogs and other people. Therefore, for my dog's protection and safety, I tend to keep him leashed in public places at all time. I do let him off his leash at the dog park though. He was just barely big enough that he had...
  8. Lisa Davis

My dog pisses himself everytime my girlfriend come over

I have never heard of the urination as a result, but I know tons of dog owners that have problems between their dog and their significant other, particularly when the significant other doesn't actually live in the household. Basically, it usually boils down to jealousy. When the significant...
  9. Lisa Davis

A puppy with problems

I have heard of this type of behavior before, but perhaps not as extreme of a case. Usually, I was told that the calm dog is sort of an "Alpha Dog" figure so the other dog mimics their good behavior. However, when the other one isn't around to keep the dog in line, they just act out and don't...
  10. Lisa Davis

Do you pay someone to do it?

We bathe our dog ourselves, but he is a short-haired Beagle. However, my dad does take him to get his nails clipped because he is scared that he may cut him. I definitely think that grooming is a preference, but I think that some breeds are certainly harder than others to care for by an...
  11. Lisa Davis

Pet insurance

My dad has a fairly comfortable savings account so I don't think he's ever considered purchasing pet insurance, even though it is available where we live in the United States. However, I know several owners that have had to put dogs down because of accidents or illnesses that they couldn't even...
  12. Lisa Davis

our unfortunate loss.

When my first dog, Sam, died, it was tragic for me, too. Sam and I were actually born on the exact same day! A friend of my father's bred black labs and this particular litter, all of their group of friends basically got a dog at first, except for my dad. Well, needless to say, my father has...
  13. Lisa Davis

homemade treats to keep your outside dog cool!

I actually make regular homemade dog biscuits for my Beagle. We have an appliance that looks much like a sandwich maker or a George Foreman grill. They come out wonderfully. They take some time and effort but the recipes I have he seems to like the taste better, although the cost is more than...
  14. Lisa Davis

Why dо dоgs аlwаys wаnt tо еаt whаt yоu аrе hаving instеаd оf еаting thеir оwn fооd? Is dоg fооd rеа

I can only speak for my dog, Petey, but I feel like he feels like he is a part of our "pack" and just wants to enjoy everything we enjoy. He even sits there and watches TV with us. He even acts like he is paying attention and gets riled up when an action scene comes on. I will say that he...
  15. Lisa Davis

What's your dog's favorite toy?

Petey, our beloved Beagle, loves tennis balls and racquetballs, but demolishes them. We bought him a Kong. It's virtually indestructible, comes in different sizes for dogs and we have sworn by them for all of our dogs. He does get a toy or two for Christmas in his stocking, but usually he...